Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting back out and teaching the boys

meandmy3

Hey there. I've been stalking this forum for a few weeks and have enjoyed reading what I can. Thanks to all of you for the great advice and sometimes funny banter - this is what has attracted me to what seems to be a good bunch of folks who share the same love of being afield as I do.

I was introduced by my uncle to trapping when I was 10 and hunting small game when I was 12, but didn't spend much time doing either through my 20's and 30's. Now, in my 40's and with three boys (ages 11, 11 & 10) I'm getting back out and teaching them ropes. They're all very excited and each passed the hunters training course from DNR with high marks. With rabbit season opening on Friday, this weekend will be our first outing since they've become licensed hunters. I plan to take each of the boys out separately, so that I can give them the attention and guidance they deserve. I think we'll have a great time!

Personally, I've not had the opportunity to hunt deer before, but in hopes of bagging my first this year I have already purchased my permit. Any suggestions, advice, or otherwise constructive criticism for a first-time deer hunter is appreciated.

Thanks to all for the chance to become a member of this great group.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to the site! Great intro BTW! My best advice is read all the threads in the Bowhunting and General deerhunting forums that would pertain to what questions you might have whether it be equipment,deer sign,hunting tactics,etc..., or simply ask questions.

Glad you found TOO and jump right in anytime! Welcome and good luck!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the site! Great intro BTW! My best advice is read all the threads in the Bowhunting and General deerhunting forums that would pertain to what questions you might have whether it be equipment,deer sign,hunting tactics,etc..., or simply ask questions.

Glad you found TOO and jump right in anytime! Welcome and good luck!

Yes! Wish everyone came through the front door like this!

Good to have you here. Sounds like you guys are in for a fun fall making memories of a lifetime. The great outdoors is an awesome place to raise children. Good luck out there and be safe.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Hello and welcome to TOO! Some of my fondest hunting memories are the ones that have my son involved. Best of luck to you and the boys.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Welcome!

The best advice I can give you other than reading through the threads, is patience. The deer don't have a script to follow. Pay attention to the sign you find, (trails, droppings, Rubs, scrapes...) get an idea where they are feeding and where they are bedding and set up on them. if it doesn't work out, don't give up.

other than that, being proficient with what ever weapon you choose is a must.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Welcome aboard! You and your boys are setting off on a grand adventure for sure! To me, there is nothing better than taking a kid hunting or fishing! Teach the boys safety above all else. We play with dangerous toys that can end a life in the blink of an eye. Make sure they understand that...no rabbit, pheasant, turkey, or deer is worth doing things that could jeopardize anyone's safety...course they know this from Hunter's Ed, but they are kids, and generally it needs to be stressed repeatedly.

Best of luck this season to you and your boys!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
First off, welcome to the site! Glad to have you.

Secondly, hats off to you for getting the kids involved in the outdoors. I agree to keep it fun. When you have a deer experience in the woods, jump on the forum to see if you can answer any of your questions. Can't find an answer? Feel free to ask. There are no dumb questions. Maybe some dumb answers, but no dumb questions. lmao

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Welcome from a new guy also!!! Wanted my daughter to hunt with me for a few years now and all of a sudden this year she got the bug and wanted to go. Shes thirteen now and has friends in school that hunt. She has been shooting since she was nine but no hunting. Like others said safety is the top rule. I have created a monster LOL. She loves it and wants to go all the time when she can if too much home work she stays home. Its to the point that if shes not with me it dosn't feel right.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Welcome lot of good advice here just sit back and listen and you can learn a lot as my grandfather told me.lol. Good luck and if the kids are with you in the field they arnt on the street is the way I look at it .