Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lighted Nocks

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've never used them, but after my son's miss yesterday evening in the waning light, I now see that we need them. We know he missed, and think it was low, but not all together positive.
Plus, we got lucky to find the arrow in the high weeds of the field.

Any recommendations? Do they come in different sizes for certain shafts?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I bought some and used them last year or year before. They are nice for following the arrow. Come in different sizes for the shaft diameter. You are correct.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They also have different colors. I use a green lighted nock. With a pass thru it still isn't the easiest to find as the green turns brown and dims the light.

Strizzi

I bought the red and green nocturnals and I love them. The red is a lot brighter than the green, I ended up ditching the green and solely use the red.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
I use the Nocturnals in red. I've tried the blue and didn't like it as much. I also tried the Lumenoks. They were bright but they come on accidentally a lot when they get bumped. Nocturnals come in different sizes for different shafts. You can match your arrow with a nock size by checking out their chart here

http://nockturnal.com/sizechart/index.html

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Lumenoks are the only way I can see my arrows corkscrewing in the middle of the season.

Oh and, when building arrows, some FOC calculators even have Lumenoks as a nock selection....somebody had a good link for an arrow building tool online.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've only tried a package of luminocks a decade or so ago Mike and could never get them to work everytime or at least properly so I ditched them. Lmao

I think Fluteman, "where's your flute" and "Fitty fi cent" Adam da Nickle both use Nocturnals in red cuz it sticks out like a sore thumb and it helps them when they find their arrow so they know where to start tracking. YKW :smiley_bril:

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They also have different colors. I use a green lighted nock. With a pass thru it still isn't the easiest to find as the green turns brown and dims the light.

I might add my are the nocturnals as well.

I know Dante used the nocturnals but switched over to luminoc this year and said his luminocs are brighter. Not sure if that is the case or not, never put them side by side to look for myself. I think he also uses the red color

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
There is a thread on here about making your own.

I use the green nocturnals. Couldnt see the red as well for some reason. The batteries seem to last longer in the green ones.

I bought a pack of the new carbon express launchpads. They are supposed to be a universal fit for arrow size, but they won't fit in my arrows. I am hoping to make the bunnny hunt, if they will fit yours I will bring them with me and you can have them. Tried to find someone at strouds that could use them but no takers.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There is a thread on here about making your own.

I use the green nocturnals. Couldnt see the red as well for some reason. The batteries seem to last longer in the green ones.

I bought a pack of the new carbon express launchpads. They are supposed to be a universal fit for arrow size, but they won't fit in my arrows. I am hoping to make the bunnny hunt, if they will fit yours I will bring them with me and you can have them. Tried to find someone at strouds that could use them but no takers.

Sounds good! I'm going to stop on my way home and see what I can find to use for now. Thanks for the info guys!

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I currently use red Luminocks. They are iffy. When I shot my deer Saturday, it came on for the shot, but when it went thru the deer and into the ground, it turned off. A bird landed on it and it turned back on. Usually I have a real hard time turning them off. Ive heard Nocturnals are easier to turn off. Any validity to that?

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Another nocturnal here. I bought the greens, won't make that mistake again. Useless in the light. Might pick up some red before I head out there.

Far as turning off, they aren't bad to turn off, but I can see the mechanism getting damaged after you shove the point of a brodahead in there a few times. I've used field points as well but the broadhead is much easier. No way they'll turn off after the shot, that's for sure.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I use some Nokturnals now . They work well . I used firenocks for a few yrs when I got em given to me . They were the best ones I ever used .

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
OK, I ended up buying Luminocks because that's all Dick's had and I had a certifcate to use there. Klay used his on his buck he shot. It never lit up.
I shot mine on a test run. It lit briefly and went right back off.
It seems the string might be too thick to activate the button entirely???
Anyone ever have this experience?

Griz

NH
OK, I ended up buying Luminocks because that's all Dick's had and I had a certifcate to use there. Klay used his on his buck he shot. It never lit up.
I shot mine on a test run. It lit briefly and went right back off.
It seems the string might be too thick to activate the button entirely???
Anyone ever have this experience?
I start out using luminocks and had the same problem, they also went out on a pass threw. They are real touchy. I changed to Nocturnals, which has a small switch built into the nock. They have worked flawlessly. Buy the red, the green is not bright enough. Hope this helps.