Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

where to sit?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
well I leave for Ohio in a day, Ill be in stand sunday morning for a week. I am excited as hell!

My question is where would you sit?

Over feed plots?
Over small kill plot?
On good trails?

We have been seeing a lot of deer this year, and the plots have been getting nailed by does so I thought that might be good place to start, but I have one stand up in a pine thicket that Ive just had a hunch about!

What do you all think?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'd concentrate on bottlenecks in between doe bedding areas and food if you have any Albert. Doe bedding areas are really productive during the early part of the rut. Bottlenecks or any pinchpoints are nice cuz you can set up on them relatively easily with any steady prevailing wind and have some of the closest shot ops you want. I like setting up 20-30 yards to the downwind because you can see approaching deer sooner and have more desirable shoot angles and you can get away with moving more as you prepare to draw your bow.

I'm pumped for you, it's gotta be exciting starting your first serious hunting of the season and its gonna be a good week to be out! Good luck wherever you hang!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Kill plot. With a name like that, how can you choose any other location? :)

I figured that would be hit on. Of course I am refering to a small plot in the woods, that is normally a great spot for waxing a doe really at anytime in the season.

Thanks for the tips- The one area I LOVE is center of a pine thicket, with a clear cut across the holler about 300 yards one way, and another clear cut about 600 yards the other way. This stand sits inbetween 3 of my plots, a feeder and 2 of my neighbors plots. The plots are all several 100 yards in every direction adjacent to the clear cuts.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like Ric's advice. Almost sounds like the spot you have chosen IS between food and bedding unless I misread that. No matter where you sit, have a safe trip. Enjoy your time home. I want to wish you luck as well Al!

Ricer2231

I have seen the bucks in my area change a lot in the last week. I have a camera on an apple pile and am getting anywhere from 1100-1200 pics a week. 600-700 of the pics had small bucks there. This past week out of 1143 pics I had 14 pics of bucks. I really think the bucks are "cruising" a lot more now. I like Rics advice and what he said is always gonna be a good area. I think you will see bucks in the food plots with the does for a short time but I really don't think they are just going to hang out there. The bottlenecks will definitely give you more of a shot opportunity but I really think its gonna be hit and miss because the bucks are moving so much. I do think the bedding area is a better area than a food plot because the bucks are gonna constantly move through there to try and pick up that early doe. I think when they are in the food plot it will be for just a short time to check the does and then be on the move again, that is unless they do come across an early doe. That probably made it clear as mud but in a nut shell if you can get on a bottleneck like Ric said I would concentrate on that but if a bottleneck is not an option I would try to get as close to the bedding area as I could and wait on him to cruise through. Sorry got a little long winded. :)

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have another stand that sits 500 yards in a hollar below a foodplot. Directly behind it is very thick clear cut. I love the stand, but for some reason just have not seen a lot of deer out of it! Ive seen my fair share, but just not compared to other spots.

My uncle hunts it, and sees a 140! I think it might just be me! hahaha