Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

buying a new tv

Huckleberry Finn

Nice thread, we're planning on getting one for mom and dad around Black Friday, so I'll be listening as well.

I have seen many stores clearing out displays getting ready for the new crop for Christmas.

teej89

NE PA
Correct if I'm wrong but I think you mean LCD or LED. Cuz LED is HD also. And I'd say go with a LED for sure and I've always loved Samsung.

Best way to tell is to go to best buy or wherever and look at the display tvs and compare the blacks on the tv. Not when they're off lol but while they're on. Its fairly easy to distinguish between a good and bad tv because one will have a more crisp clear black compared to the other that will look grey/purplish color. But once you get to comparing better quality tvs it obviously gets more difficult.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Correct if I'm wrong but I think you mean LCD or LED. Cuz LED is HD also. And I'd say go with a LED for sure and I've always loved Samsung.

Best way to tell is to go to best buy or wherever and look at the display tvs and compare the blacks on the tv. .
So should I put in on BET or NBA basketball?rotflmao

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Samsung is the only TV I'll buy. Never had any problems with them. We have 2 samsung LCD's, a 32'' and a 46". My brother has had a 40" going on 3 years now with no problems.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
We have a 47" LCD by LG. We love it. You want to make sure you get a TV with no less than 1080p resolution and preferably a frame rate speed of 240 or up. With HD programming and a large screen area you'll want to have a high end TV. The larger the screen the more important it is to get the higher resolution and processor.

LED only refers to backlighting of the screen, and from what I have read they don't really do much. They claim to create a brighter picture, but my LCD has settings that make the image brighter than it needs to be. So, if you tell me an LED can make it even brighter, but it's more expensive than you're telling me I can pay more for a feature that I don't need.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
All the TV's I have seen the pictures look the best on LG and Samsung LCD's.

If I was in the market I would get an LG LCD with smart TV. If it was me ;)

Kaiser878

ohio
We have a 50 inch LED HD SMART TV. I'd u have WiFi at your house get the smart TV. You can have Netflix and other internet programs on it. I have a wireless mouse and am going to get a wireless keyboard for mine. Its basicly a computer and a tv

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We have a 55" Samsung LCD and it's been a great TV. Bought it just before LEDs dropped in price and before they released the 240hz version. IMO, Samsung or Vizio are the two best brands on the market. As for LED over LCD, I think it's a matter of preference. I don't have TV envy when I see an LED, so that's good!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Samsung, Sony and LG.

I don't like the built in internet browser the Sony uses. Yahoo/AOL and it is crappy, IMHO. I have two Samsungs and an LG. Parent have two Sonys.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
We have two Sony's and have owned them for almost 6 years now and haven't had the slightest hiccup out of either. Outside of that I have nothing much to offer since I haven't been in the market for so long. I have heard good things about Vizio. I do know that my cousin has had nothing but trouble out of his Panasonic.