Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Farm drilling for coal

Sammymusi

I have a farm I have permission hunting that is being prepped for test drilling for coal like this week or next . The north end of the the ridge is already pushed over and there's a road 25 ft wide now .. The other end of the ridge has been like my home .. transition area before bedding .. they are dozing this week on that flat. What's your opinion on still giving it a go and hunting that this weekend . They don't work on weekends but I'm thinking it will kill daytime activity for me . Sorry so long and drug out just need some advice.

Sammymusi

And I just found this forum and wanna say it is awesome and very well developed . A lot of knowledge to be learned

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You'd be surprised how deer will take to freshly dozed areas. If it is the only spot you have, best thing to do is get out there and hope for the best.

Sammymusi

It's not the only area for me I just have that feeling it's the best cruising area for the big boys when they are on their feet. I still have a lot to learn property wise and hunting wise. I appreciate the posts . Hope this weekend is a little more productive than it has been .

Huckleberry Finn

And the farmer said testing for coal so I assume test drilling is not the proper term?haha

Just figured it'd be gas, not coal. With gas, it can be as little a seismic test from a thumper truck to burying wires and small charges. No clue what they do for coal, you'll have to let us know.

Good luck and Welcome to TOO

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
They're drilling for cores. It will take a small rig to pull the cores and if they plan to run a rig, you might want to cut them a wide swath. That said, if check with the landowner and see if you can plant the flat spots in the spring with some clover.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
30-35 years ago the took core samples here. Took a sample every 5 feet or so, if they hit a vein of coal they took the whole vein. Drilled 2-300 ft deep. After they drilled they brought in a van loaded with electronics and dropped a probe down the hole. We were never told what the electronics were for. Long time ago but if memory serves me right I don't think the process took over a week.

Sammymusi

Ya not too sure the layout is basically across the road from his house is a big field of clover .. Along the field edge is scrape scrape scrape scrape big rub etc.. Each "wing" is where they are dozing over . I just never knew if that kind of devastation is just a temporary hiccup to deer or if they will just go back to normal after a few days. And if I need to start thinking about my plan b and c. This year is the most serious I've been about getting a bruiser down and i wanna increase my chances as much as I can.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I work at a gravel mine. You would be surprised what I see while running equipment. We just opened up a new section and its covered with tracks every morning when we come in. Tonight we worked till dark and I had a buck and 3 does running around me while I was loading trucks with a track hoe. so I'd say you will be fine and it doesn't take long to get samples once they get started.

Sammymusi

Bigten05 thanks . If I am lucky enough to harvest a buck this year I will post pics thanks to all for the replies.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They're drilling for cores. It will take a small rig to pull the cores and if they plan to run a rig, you might want to cut them a wide swath. That said, if check with the landowner and see if you can plant the flat spots in the spring with some clover.

Or, if the company does some reclaiming and plants some fresh grass you may have a gold mine for a while. Of course, that probably wouldn't be this year.

Like Jesse said though, deer love freshly torn up soil. You may get some action there yet. After this rain tomorrow, go look around in the dozed areas for tracks. You may find what you're looking for.

Sammymusi

Thanks .. last weekend I walked around on the first side they did and there were tracks just wasn't sure if it would be day or night time activity .. I guess come rut they won't care .