Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Old scents and lures

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you all buy new annually? I found some "estrous doe urine" in a box of hunting stuff in the garage. Two years old. Lid was on tight. Would you use it or buy new? Just curious as i have some from last year as well and bought some yesterday. One of the few industry products I buy into. Only use it a few times a year though.

buckstar25

T-county
2 years old, I'd smell it first but it's probably stale and broken down. I used year old buck piss and active scrape scent. Doe came right to the active scrape. I have bought Black Widow XXX brand new and every deer that smelled it took off....more like Black Cloud XXX. If I already had new stuff I would probably pitch the old.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Sounds like mock scrape or dumpster it goes.

I hear mixed opinions on these lures. I had an amazing experience with a drag line once. Pulled in a mature 8pt my buddy ended up shooting later. Unfortunately, when I pulled him in, I was only half way up my tree. Couldn't do anything but hang on and try not to move. Ended up being mid 140's as an 8pt.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Phil, why don't you have your wife per in a bottle store it for a couple years. Take it out have her pee fresh in a Dixie cup and then compare them. That should give you a good idea if the pee goes bad.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Frankly I haven't used scents for attractants or cover in 5-6 years. I'm totally happy with smoke and hunting good treestand sets.

IMO, I'd throw it away though if its old.