Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Night Shift

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have no clue how you 3rd shift guys do it. I can start at 7;30 a.m and work 20 hours straight and get up lot easier 4 hours later and do it again than I can switching to nights. We're loading out beans on trucks this week trying to make more room for corn, and it's killing me trying to switch my sleeping times around. There's only so many things to do in this office. The Nothing about Nothing thread has helped me pass a few hours. But I get off at 7 and I know I'll be lucky to sleep more than a few hours before my bofy tells me it's time to awaken. Im seriously considering medicating with Nyquil or Benadryl to help

As far as drugs go I find that melatonin is helpful. It really doesn't bother me when I switch back and forth between nights and days on my days off. That said I'll be happy when we swap shifts on nov 4. I do need more sleep on night shift than I do on day shift.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I do OK on nights, but I definitely need more sleep than I do on days. Hardest thing for me is leaving the wife and baby at home at night.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
When I worked nights in the ICU I had to use benadryl to sleep during the day. Thankfully it was only 3 twelves and not more often. I have heard good thigns about melatonin though.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like I may be purchasing some Melatonin. Any recommended dosages or anything I should know?

I works but if you don't get enough sleep and it's still trying too kick in you'll feel like a zombie lol.... Tried it when I was on the road before and our hours were screwed up and it works but you better have plenty of time too sleep so it can clear out of your system....

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I would definitely try all of these other suggestions first...if you still can't sleep it will get more frustrating...I find the more frustrated I get with something the more anxious I get about it...I want to sleep, but I'm so frustratrated that I can't sleep, that it's actually making it harder for me to relax and go to sleep...talk to your doctor about sleep loss, work schedule change...

I had to work an oil refinery turnaround in 2007, even in engineering we had to work 13 hour days for 7 days a week, I couldn't sleep for anything....I talked to my doctor about it and got a small dose of anti-anxiety pill, just enough to knock the edge off my anxiety so I could fall asleep...best part you don't wake up drowsy or medicine feeling...and it's only temporary.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Ive been doing it for 24 years and I don't think you ever get used to it. I average about five hours. On a the positive side of night shifts, I get a lot more stuff done around the house.

Strizzi

Ive been doing it for 24 years and I don't think you ever get used to it. I average about five hours. On a the positive side of night shifts, I get a lot more stuff done around the house.

I've been doing it for 5 years now and I agree you don't really get use to it, you just get use to being tired!

Hard thing for me is I work Sunday night to Friday morning and I stay up all day Friday to get to a normal sleep schedule for the weekend. Every once in a while I'll need a melatonin, I bought the 3mg from giant eagle and still have to cut it in half to be able to wake up. They knock me out pretty good but waking up is hard for me.

loose_is_fast

McClure
I am a little apprehensive about starting my new job at North Star Blue Scope Steel On Nov 11. I have been working construction for 12 year on days. North Star works a swing shift, 12hr days at a month days and a month nights. The nice thing will be that we will be working 7 out of 14 days. I am just not sure how sleeping during the day is gonna go.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I am a little apprehensive about starting my new job at North Star Blue Scope Steel On Nov 11. I have been working construction for 12 year on days. North Star works a swing shift, 12hr days at a month days and a month nights. The nice thing will be that we will be working 7 out of 14 days. I am just not sure how sleeping during the day is gonna go.

Is that plant in Youngstown? We've got a North Star up here as well....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I thought working nights was the greatest thing ever. It allowed me time to hunt, fish, start a business...whatever I wanted to do. But, I was sleepy for 18 years, the last 13 were the best as I only worked 10-12 hours a night vs. the 16-18 I worked the first five. :)

You guys are WIMPS! You don't need pills to sleep if you're actually tired!:):):)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I do OK on nights, but I definitely need more sleep than I do on days. Hardest thing for me is leaving the wife and baby at home at night.

Ditto to your last sentence Greg. I get home way to early though, 3:45 am is to far from first light! Sucks but what can you do? I hate sleeping for 2 hours as its hard to wake up but not sleeping at all is tough to do as I have to sleep sometime before getting ready to leave for work.

Ryan, try NyQuil ZZZ. It takes about 30-45 minutes to kick in but it helped me sleep.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Ditto to your last sentence Greg. I get home way to early though, 3:45 am is to far from first light! Sucks but what can you do? I hate sleeping for 2 hours as its hard to wake up but not sleeping at all is tough to do as I have to sleep sometime before getting ready to leave for work.

Ryan, try NyQuil ZZZ. It takes about 30-45 minutes to kick in but it helped me sleep.

I'm in the same boat as you Ric. I don't get home until 2:15, like you said it's hard to wake up after 2-3 hours of sleep.