Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Some things gotta give

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My season has been nothing but let downs from the beginning. I was after a group of three does at the beginning of the season and it seemed like when I was in one spot they were in another, then I would switch stands and they would appear where I was previously. So I gave up on that so I didn't pressure them to much. Two weeks ago at another spot I called in 2 doe and a yearling using a fawn bleat. I made a bad shot and never ended up finding the doe after hours of searching. Two nights ago at a different farm I watched a nice buck run into the woods where I had been the night before. This evening my old roommate from hocking and I sat in the same spot where I watched the buck enter the woods. We got in the stands at 3:30 and at 4:40 he whispers to me that theres a buck behind me, it was him. He didn't come in on the trail I had hoped for but went up another 10 yards and entered the woods. I had never cut shooting lanes and I wish I would of (just got the permission slip signed 4 days ago) because I would of had a better shot. This buck looked up at me with his tongue hanging out like he had been running all day and stared at me for what seemed like forever and then went about his business. He stopped broadside at what I thought was 30 yards and I didn't think I had time to range him so I shot. The arrow went right over his back and I couldn't believe I just missed him. I ranged the spot after he left and it ended up being 24 yards. He was probably a 125 inch 8 point with a perfect rack and tall tines. The ol lady and a friend of mine told me that maybe I missed because theres a bigger one out there with my name on it. I hope so. The Buck Whisperer on here who I am buddies with said "he who devotes the most time gets the biggest reward, I hope so cause if I ain't workin I'm huntin. All I can do is keep on truckin!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang Chad! Well, I guess it can't get much worse so all it can do is get better man! Anybody that has got some years under their belt as far as hunting goes has had seasons like you described so don't beat yourself up over it. Just live and learn buddy! Get knocked down then pick yourself back up. Hang in there bud, the rut is just now starting to heat up. Good luck on your next encounter!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Keep your chin up Chad. Things will turn the corner for you and the early frustrations will seem insignificant. You know how it works. Blink of an eye and your season can go from worst season ever to best season ever. Good luck!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yep, I get no action and just pray that things will turn around soon. Keep on huntin'!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It only takes five minutes man. Just five minutes to make everything work out. Don't be so hard in yourself. Enjoy your hunts and time outdoors. It will happen when it happens. You can only do so much. The rest is up to fate and good preparation.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks guys, my buddy took a video using his Iphone and when he emails it TOO me I will post it here, my reaction to the shot is priceless.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It only takes five minutes man. Just five minutes to make everything work out. Don't be so hard in yourself. Enjoy your hunts and time outdoors. It will happen when it happens. You can only do so much. The rest is up to fate and good preparation.

I need to tell myself this. Good advice.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

Yep. It can be a long hard road. Just keep on, keepin' on man! Best of luck turning things around!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Remember this is supposed too be fun..... Don't get stressed out enjoying yourself.... I have too remind myself every now and again....

Like Joe and the others said it all changes in a blink of an eye..... Just be ready.....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm going back to that spot friday evening, we are supposed to have a west wind again. But tomorrow I have to go talk to the landowner about a trespasser that's hunting his woods. I hate trespassers. In my opinion that bucks reaction to the shot was slow and you can see that he didn't run until the arrow hit the ground beside him. Do you guys think he knows that he was shot at and was in real danger?

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
When he finds a hot doe or is pushing one that's close his mind will be on only one thing...keep on keepin on Chad! Good luck

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
When he finds a hot doe or is pushing one that's close his mind will be on only one thing...keep on keepin on Chad! Good luck

That's what I was thinking. There are a group of does that bed down behind the woods in a 2 acre crp field, I think he has been going in to scent check them or hit some scrapes. This buck runs about 500 yards through an open field to get to the woods, I watched him do it last friday. Thanks for the motivation Ric and the rest of you guys as well. I won't ever give up, I love hunting TOO much! It just brings a guy down a little bit when chit like that happens.

Last edited: