Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rubber Boots

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I wear em he king cams as well as on stand.... How many where versus leather/gortex or others ????

After the first time watching a doe follow my path in that I took a few years back I'm a believer.... With the rubber boots and the scent smoker I feel I can beat almost any deers nose..... The only other thing I'm adding is the ever calm too the arsenal..... That's the one two three punch in my book....

bonemonger

kinsman ohio
I wear rubber boots, but not for scent control. they act like a bellows when you walk pushing your scent out. I wear them because its wet everywhere I hunt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I wear rubber boots, but not for scent control. they act like a bellows when you walk pushing your scent out. I wear them because its wet everywhere I hunt.

That's a different take I've never heard before..... I can see what you're talking about but never had any bad affect because of it....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

That has always been a major concern of mine, as my feet sweat and stink to high hell. The best thing I ever did to both control odor and reduce sweating was going to an uninsulated rubber boot. Buy going uninsulated, my feet don't get as hot and don't sweat on the walk in, which results in less stink and dry, warm feet. I also use a boot dryer and then leave socks filled with baking soda in them after they dry. My feet stay warmer than they ever have, even in the colder weather. When it gets down into the teens, my feet will get cold quick, but I carry heated insoles then.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That has always been a major concern of mine, as my feet sweat and stink to high hell. The best thing I ever did to both control odor and reduce sweating was going to an uninsulated rubber boot. Buy going uninsulated, my feet don't get as hot and don't sweat on the walk in, which results in less stink and dry, warm feet. I also use a boot dryer and then leave socks filled with baking soda in them after they dry. My feet stay warmer than they ever have, even in the colder weather. When it gets down into the teens, my feet will get cold quick, but I carry heated insoles then.

Me too. Both my main hunting boots are uninsulated now. Using the toe warmers once in stand really helps.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good advise Greg.... That's been my problem, my feet sweat when I think about walking and I've always been of the mindset go with more insulation too keep feet warmer but I guess that's not the case lol.... In this case less is more for the most part.....

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Good advise Greg.... That's been my problem, my feet sweat when I think about walking and I've always been of the mindset go with more insulation too keep feet warmer but I guess that's not the case lol.... In this case less is more for the most part.....

Once you get over that train of thought and give it an honest try, you will see how much money you have wasted on warm socks and insulated boots. At one time, I wore 2000g thinsulate rubber boots, looked like I had clown shoes on. My feet would freeze too! Now I go uninsulated with polyester or wool socks, and I am fine. The night I killed my doe, it was down into the 30's and blowing, I was on stand for five hours and my feet stayed toasty!

Ricer2231

I've been doing some checking into this TOO. I just bought a pair of sock liners, like UA material, and a pair of wool socks. Gonna see if this keeps my feet dry and warmer. Which in turn will make them not as stinky TOO.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I wear rubber insulated and non. I tuck my hunting pants or bibs inside the boot and that reduces the bellow effect but I was blessed with feet that don't sweat or stink.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I wear rubber insulated and non. I tuck my hunting pants or bibs inside the boot and that reduces the bellow effect but I was blessed with feet that don't sweat or stink.

My feet don't stink per say but they sweat too the point I can actually ring them out.... Not cool....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've been doing some checking into this TOO. I just bought a pair of sock liners, like UA material, and a pair of wool socks. Gonna see if this keeps my feet dry and warmer. Which in turn will make them not as stinky TOO.

Don, where'd you find the liners!!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Phil brought something up the other day about when changing socks at the stand site which I already do too wear plastic bags over the socks too prevent getting your boots wet inside... Tried it and was amazed how wet the bags got on he walk in....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil brought something up the other day about when changing socks at the stand site which I already do too wear plastic bags over the socks too prevent getting your boots wet inside... Tried it and was amazed how wet the bags got on he walk in....

I was thinking out loud. Hadn't tried it yet. Did it seem to help?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have the same problem as Flutey, but I can't seem to convince myself to try the uninsulated route. I bought my Muck boots a size bigger and that really helped this weekend. I wore a light wool sock and my feet were able to breathe. Sat from 7:30 to 11 and barely got cold, so that was a huge improvement for me...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have the same problem as Flutey, but I can't seem to convince myself to try the uninsulated route. I bought my Muck boots a size bigger and that really helped this weekend. I wore a light wool sock and my feet were able to breathe. Sat from 7:30 to 11 and barely got cold, so that was a huge improvement for me...
just did the same...i need to look at a couple options to keep my toes warm thought...they got cold on saturday.