Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lesson learned

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
As all of you know I have had both my hips totally replaced in the last year, well during my morning sit yesterday I noticed my "arse" was really beginning to get cold, the rest of me seemed to be ok so I just chocked it up to sitting on a chair in the blind. I got out of the blind around 1030 to head to the truck for some lunch and could barely walk due to my hips being stiff and cold, the rest of my body was fine. I got to the truck and sat in the cab for about an hour, ate lunch and tried to warm up but my rear would not warm up! After eating and trying to warm up I put on the ghillie suit and headed back out, hips still stiff and cold, left at dark, walked back to the truck and came home and jumped in a hot shower to warm up. After the shower you could still place your hand on the scars of my incisions and they were cold to the touch for several hours afterwards. Anybody have some ideas how I can prevent these hunks of metal from getting cold in the first place? I was told about the thermo wraps like you use for a sore back and to place them in your pants on both sides but this seems like a real pain in the arse! (pun intended)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a good post to read. Sorry to hear of your new challenge. I was happy to see you heal up and talking about hitting the woods. Would have never thought about the new issues to deal with. Outside of the suggested heat wrap, I can only think of extra padding on the seat or maybe a blanket wrapped around your hips when you have long sits. Not much help I realize, but just wanted to express my sympathy. I am rooting for you this year given the adversity you have overcome this year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah to everything Phil said here Tad. I've never used them but you might try one of them body suits Brock mentioned in Dons post about keeping warm in the stand. Hang in there buddy! Good luck this season.

Yeah to everything Phil said here Tad. I've never used them but you might try one of them body suits Brock mentioned in Dons post about keeping warm in the stand. Hang in there buddy! Good luck this season.

That's probably the best and easiest solution. If you Google hip replacement and cold weather there are plenty of people complaining about the symptom. However no one has a solution other than to wear more cloths. There might be a possible market for this problem.

Last edited:

k.stone

central Ohio
Yikes. Cold will definitely be something to account for.
Be careful with electric heat pads also. My mother used a heat pad on her hips and it made the metal so hot it gave her blisters on her skin.
I'd probably check with the doc. and see what he recommends.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You using bibs or coveralls? Might be able too sew in pockets strategically too line up with the cold spots too put in hand warmers in them for a temporary solution....

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Don (Ricer) called me alittle bit ago and had a great idea! its one of the football girdles that they wear to keep their hip pads in place, put acouple hand warmers in each "pocket" where the hip pads go and then they shouldnt move around and such. Definately gonna give this a try!!!!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
No problem buddy. I just wanna see ya get in the woods and enjoy yourself. The good Lord knows you deserve at least that much after this year!

Amen to that! For future reference, if the football girdle doesn't work as you hope, there are also bicycle shorts or compression shorts. You could hold them in place with these as well. Not sure which ones are cheaper. That would be my decision maker. lol