Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Public Land Etiquette

gvsu141

Curious to everyones thoughts on public land, and using a climber vs. hang-on.

Backstory to uses as an example/set context:
I have been hunting the same piece of public land for several years, and go back to the same spot every year to bowhunt. It is not far from my home and I will go out multiple times of week. I always carry in only my climber, don't disturb the land, and take everything out with me as to not leave a trace - not even trail markers.
This year I go to my spot where I have 2 stand locations picked out so I can adjust based on the wind, etc. However, within 10 yards of BOTH of the spots someone has put up the works: hung stands, scent drippers, mocked scrapes, etc. There are using everything from orange tape to old pop bottles to mark the trail in and out. They even went as far as cutting down a 9"-10" tree to make way for a lane.

Now I know that this is part of hunting public land - you run into similar situations all the time. I am not complaining much as to the fact that this happens as this is a part of hunting. I am however, curious as to how everyone hunts situations like this. Would you still hunt your same tree, even though it is pretty much on top of the other guy? I get to the stand pretty early, so there is a good chance no other vehicles will be parked on my way out to the stand. I have another spot I found, just not as much to my liking.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I run into this at the club I belong to. I've lost a few spots that I hunted for years. Same scenario... new stand, etc...
I just moved on to another spot and check back annually to see if they've vacated. It's a battle you can't win in my opinion and you just have to hope they move on sometime this year or next.

Unless you wanna hunt on top of him, but that's your call.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Given everything they have done chances are the deer will circle around this area now and not even bother with it. I would move about 50-100 yards one direction or the other (whatever direction has the easier travel since deer like easier travel paths vs brushy travel paths) and setup.

Think of it this way, if you was a deer and walked in on that much activity in a small area, would you walk into it? Heck no, stay away and walk around it. Too much make it suspect to deer and makes them avoid things like that.

Hunting public and even on some private lands you need to hunt the hunter lol. Let them do whatever they are going to do and try and catch the deer doing what they do to avoid them ;)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Obviously you are dealing with a moron, so good luck with that. I don't hunt public land but one thing I do know is that you need to hunt/scout people as much as you hunt/scout deer...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You still have the advantage as you know the area and the deer. Use the idiot to your advantage. The deer will adapt to his presence. Make sure you adapt also and you'll be right back in the mix. If you play it right your hunting might actually improve.

gvsu141

Thanks for the advice guys. I like the thoughts of using it to my advantage/scouting the hunter as well. There is a spot about 100 yards down that may work well for this... The deer didn't travel there much before, but may very well now. I will have to check it out next time out.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Agree with Red & the others completely. Chances are this "hunter" has learned everything he knows from watching "pros" on TV do it. Use his set up to your advantage somehow.

teej89

NE PA
public land public property, looks like you just got yourself a couple new stands and scent drippers lol rotflmao jk but yeah by the sounds of it he disturbed that area pretty good and the deer will definitely be skirting around it.

It's funny how people over use cat eyes on public land, it's like they want to announce where they hunt. I don't use any but if I am taking my dad to a new spot or him to me we'll give directions the whole way to a tree then put one cat eye down at the base of the tree.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'd turn him in for cutting trees on public land. Amazes me how many morons have no knowledge of the laws.

Yep. the trail markers are also considered littering.

public land public property, looks like you just got yourself a couple new stands and scent drippers lol

Yep. Put a permanent stand on public property it now becomes a public stand. he cant do anything about it if you want to sit in his stand.

But as others have said, the spot is probably boogered anyway. I'd back track the deer trail a 100 yards or so and set up there.

Treed

Stark County
He's probably fouled up the area pretty good. I agree that setting up somewhere off his mess may be productive for you. Chances are, within a week it won't be an issue anyway. Someone will walk by, see free stuff hanging in a tree and solve your problems for you. It's sad but it happens all the time. Who the heck leaves their gear out on public land anyway! You might as well post a curb alert on Craigslist telling people where to go pick up your stand.

ADFrase

I have ran into this in one of the spots I hunt at. They have two stands in two different places all locked up nice and neat with cut limbs stacked in all around the ladders. They have drips hanging all around, made scrapes, and have too cut down trees. If they leave them you can use them according to the DNR whether it be a hang on or what have you, and they can't do a dang thing about it. Like others have said, if I was a deer I would know better...since the deer in that area are smart enough to stay on private property. I usually hunt the trails away from the stands, but it is just annoying what people will do on public land. Oh well, what can you do when no one really enforces the rules, and makes it easy for people to do what they want.

I'd turn him in for cutting trees on public land. Amazes me how many morons have no knowledge of the laws.

Was going to say the same thing. Trash hunter and you wouldn't want to get caught hunting nearby. Like the others have said, if he's made that much of a ruckus there then the deer are sure to move accordingly. Figure out where they will head since he's staked his claim clearly.

I have ran into this in one of the spots I hunt at. They have two stands in two different places all locked up nice and neat with cut limbs stacked in all around the ladders. They have drips hanging all around, made scrapes, and have too cut down trees. If they leave them you can use them according to the DNR whether it be a hang on or what have you, and they can't do a dang thing about it. Like others have said, if I was a deer I would know better...since the deer in that area are smart enough to stay on private property. I usually hunt the trails away from the stands, but it is just annoying what people will do on public land. Oh well, what can you do when no one really enforces the rules, and makes it easy for people to do what they want.

I'd be reluctant to use someone's stand if they have cut a bunch of stuff and made a mess of the place. No telling how many other hunters have found the location and already may have reported it. Would hate to be sitting there when a GW walks up ready to write a ticket.

Treed

Stark County
I'd be reluctant to use someone's stand if they have cut a bunch of stuff and made a mess of the place. No telling how many other hunters have found the location and already may have reported it. Would hate to be sitting there when a GW walks up ready to write a ticket.

Very good point!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very good point!

Agreed. Talk about a kick in the nuts. Guy buggers up your go to spot and you get busted for it. Not cool.

Wish we had some public land around here. Although many feel our private land is public, we have none close.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Remember I told you that I face this issue at the club I belong too?

Here's the phone call I got yesterday from my cousin who was at the clubhouse bar...

Cousin: "Hey, you have a newer buddy stand out on Snyder's point?"
Me: "Yep, why?"
Cousin: "Right at the front of the point?"
Me: "Yep, why?"
Cousin: (yelling to somebody at the bar) "Yep! It's his!" (To me) "How long has it been there?"
Me: "At least a month."
Cousin: "Oh, Sam #$!@#% put a stand up there and didn't see yours until he started hunting. It's right next to yours. I told him you probably set that up for you and the boys."
Me: "Yep, is he going to move his or are we going to sit in each other's lap?"
Cousin: "I don't know, he didn't say."

That was pretty much the end of the conversation.

ADFrase

Yep, I don't use the stands, because I don't trust 'em. Who knows what someone may have done to keep others away. I'll stick to my own stuff that I trust and know.