Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Power Lines?

Treed

Stark County
I have a question I've been wondering about since I moved to Ohio. Maybe someone here can help.
We have all of these massive power line easements running all over the state. Can we hunt them? I've always assumed that they are the private property of whatever landowner the easement runs through and that the power company is basically "borrowing", for lack of a better term, the land. Someone I work with insists this is not so, he says it's AEP land and you can hunt it. I'm thinking he may be confusing this with the AEP Re-creation lands like the Conesville Coal Lands, mostly because the guys a third degree dumbass but who knows, I may be wrong. Being the type not trust someone I know to be a complete moron, in this case, I'd rather put my eggs in the basket of a bunch of total strangers. Can someone set me straight on this?
And Donny....if you're on this forum...STFU and let the adults talk.
Thanks.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Private property with a lease agreement too the power companies and they are the only ones allowed access without written permission.....

Huckleberry Finn

What J said. In most cases, it's an easement lease on the property by the utility company. In some cases, it's a split parcel (or entire parcel) that owned by the utility. In case A, you'd have to get landowner permission. In case B, you'd have to get the utility's permission.

AEP Rec lands are mapped out on their website.

If you have any specific power line questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Oh, and the guy that you work with is a 3rd Degree Dumbass. Landowners have taken the utilities to the Supreme Court over the issue of dumbasses like him thinking that because there is a power line there, it is public domain.

Treed

Stark County
Lol....Yeah, he's not too bright. He told me he's forgotten more about hunting than I've ever learned. He's 23 and hunts deer and turkey with a shot gun. I'm 42 and I bow hunt everything. Makes ya wonder what these kids are smokin' these days. I really didn't have any specific lines in mind, it was just something that came up over lunch when our laborer decided to chime in on a conversation he wasn't involved in. Funny stuff tough. Thanks.

Huckleberry Finn

Lol....Yeah, he's not too bright. He told me he's forgotten more about hunting than I've ever learned. He's 23 and hunts deer and turkey with a shot gun. I'm 42 and I bow hunt everything. Makes ya wonder what these kids are smokin' these days. I really didn't have any specific lines in mind, it was just something that came up over lunch when our laborer decided to chime in on a conversation he wasn't involved in. Funny stuff tough. Thanks.

Sure hope being 23 and hunting with a shotgun isn't the part that makes you not too bright...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thats the type of guy who gets shot cause he goes and hunts on someones farm, easement, without permission. Freakin idiot people.

Treed

Stark County
What he hunts with isn't what makes him a dumbass, it's not his age either. I would blame it on our failing educational system but one look at him will tell ya it's probably genetic. It's the know-it-all mentality the kid has that puts me off, mostly. All this been there, done that at the ripe old age of 23! Hell, he just got out from under mommas wing. Lol. Go west, young man. Live life a while. Don't be in such a hurry. That's my advice. I lied about bow hunting everything TOO, I've gotten into duck hunting, on those mornings, the Hoyt is exchanged for the ole 870.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What J said. In most cases, it's an easement lease on the property by the utility company. In some cases, it's a split parcel (or entire parcel) that owned by the utility. In case A, you'd have to get landowner permission. In case B, you'd have to get the utility's permission.

AEP Rec lands are mapped out on their website.

If you have any specific power line questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Oh, and the guy that you work with is a 3rd Degree Dumbass. Landowners have taken the utilities to the Supreme Court over the issue of dumbasses like him thinking that because there is a power line there, it is public domain.

What he said...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What he hunts with isn't what makes him a dumbass, it's not his age either. I would blame it on our failing educational system but one look at him will tell ya it's probably genetic. It's the know-it-all mentality the kid has that puts me off, mostly. All this been there, done that at the ripe old age of 23! Hell, he just got out from under mommas wing. Lol. Go west, young man. Live life a while. Don't be in such a hurry. That's my advice. I lied about bow hunting everything TOO, I've gotten into duck hunting, on those mornings, the Hoyt is exchanged for the ole 870.

:smiley_crocodile::smiley_crocodile::smiley_crocodile:

There will always be a handful of guys like this one Treed. Darwinism isn't keeping up with them.

I forgive you for lying about strictly bow hunting. Ol' 870 for geese, turkey, coyote, squirrel, deer, or rowing your boat isn't all bad. Some goes for the ol Mossberg 500. Didn't want to start a debate, just saying everyone should have some memories with one of the old 12g pump guns.

Treed

Stark County
Thanks guys! LoL. It's good to fit in somewhere!

Most of my early hunting experience was with an old Mossberg Bolt action .270. or my ole mans 30-06, a Remington 742. I grew up in Washington State where a guy could hunt a variety of game with a rifle. Although I was getting into the stick/string method back then, it wasn't until I moved to Ohio and found out you had to hunt deer with a shot gun or black powder for a few days a year that I really got serious about bow hunting and it's four awesome months of opportunity. After a couple years of just going out and mucking about in the woods not seeing a lot I started getting serious. Scent control became an obsession, the wind became my friend, my wifes bee smoker became much more than just a stinky piece of junk in the garage and deer started appearing. Now I'm just straight up, flat out addicted to the bow. It's much more personal, it's far more challenging and to me, seems more "pure". I look forward to getting my kids out with the .22s for squirrel here in the next couple years, just like my dad did with me. That's where it all starts.