Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Leverage Climbing Sticks

reo

N.E. Ohio
Leverage Climbing Sticks Review:

Bought a set of these from Hickslawns last winter for this season.
After using them so for this season I thought I would offer this review.
They are lightweight and solidly constructed.
They stack together nicely and I love the double steps.
I have not had one move a bit once they are strapped on to the tree.
Price was good at $99 for three.
The only slight downside is the clips that are a bit noisy but I have lived
with that and will probably even buy another set. Other then that I could not be any more happy with them.
I would give them a 9 out of 10.

Hicks was also great to deal with.

I hope this helps someone with a future purchase decision.

reo

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I will add to this later. I have grown to love my Leverages and thanks to BASF (Greg/Fluteman) I have a good system worked out with them. They are as good of quality as the Muddy or LW's IMHO. The only change I would make is to the clip system over to a VERSA button. Not worth the $ to do it though.

The clips are pretty quiet when I cover them with a glove while latching.

Last edited:

reo

N.E. Ohio
I will add to this later. I have grown to love my Leverages and thanks to BASF I have a good system worked out with them. They are as good of quality as the Muddy or LW's IMHO. The only change I would make is to the clip system over to a VERSA button. Not worth the $ to do it though.

The clips are pretty quiet when I cover them with a glove while latching.

Cool! Looking forward to hearing what you have done/worked out!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the review guys. I really think they are lacking marketing. They are a very nice product for the money. Not a huge fan of the clip either. This would be the only downside I have found with them myself.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Other than the clip, the only other thing I didn't like is that the legs don't swivel. They are a very nice stick, especially with some slight modifications.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
The mods I would make/have made:

- Versa buttons and loop straps instead of the clips/cinches (haven't done)
- Adding picture hangars to one and a gym bag strap so that you can wear them up the tree (have done)
- Cam straps to hold them stacked on the stand and as you go up you can take one off the stack at a time. (have done)
- Web loop steps that was posted here before (have done)

I purchased two sets from Phil. I like being able to leave two and a Millennium bracket in two separate locations. That way I can just carry two sticks and the stand. And I don't have to worry about them being stolen. If I need to move on location I can just pack it up and have a full mobile set up. With 4 sticks with the web loop cheater I am getting 20ft up easy.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
The mods I would make/have made:

- Versa buttons and loop straps instead of the clips/cinches (haven't done)
- Adding picture hangars to one and a gym bag strap so that you can wear them up the tree (have done)
- Cam straps to hold them stacked on the stand and as you go up you can take one off the stack at a time. (have done)
- Web loop steps that was posted here before (have done)

I purchased two sets from Phil. I like being able to leave two and a Millennium bracket in two separate locations. That way I can just carry two sticks and the stand. And I don't have to worry about them being stolen. If I need to move on location I can just pack it up and have a full mobile set up. With 4 sticks with the web loop cheater I am getting 20ft up easy.

I need to put on my thinking cap or youtube how to make some of these mods to mine...picture hangers and gym bag strap? Please elaborate if you can!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I will have someone video while I talk through it and post it. Won't be BASF (Fluteman) quality but I should be able to talk you through it.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I will have someone video while I talk through it and post it. Won't be BASF (Fluteman) quality but I should be able to talk you through it.

Much appreciated...but no rush, I have mine wrapped up nicely but would just like to see this method as it sounds like it might be more efficient. Thanks for your help as always.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I can figure out the web loop step thing but I cannot get my head around the picture hanger and a gym bag strap. Please explain

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I can figure out the web loop step thing but I cannot get my head around the picture hanger and a gym bag strap. Please explain

Mount two picture hangers to the bottom stick, one a few inches off center and one towards the end. If you then attach a cinch strap to the bottom stick to hold them all together, the gym bag strap will allow you to carry the sticks into the woods over your shoulder, or up the tree when you are climbing.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

The first picture shows the picture hangers mounted with self tapping screws. The second shows the gym bag strap attached (ignore the d rings, that was the old mounting method)