Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Deer chili recipes?

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Here's my recipe I've used for years. You can adjust the heat by either adding jalepeno peppers or not. I no longer add hot peppers to it. The older I get, the less heat I can stand to eat!

1 lb. ground deer meat
Onions, chopped
Chopped green pepper
Chopped jalepeno pepper

Brown these together in a large pot or Dutch oven.

Add 3 cups water and 3 cans of tomato paste and stir until the paste is smooth.

Stir in the following spices:

3/8 of a laurel bay leaf
1/4 teas. salt
Heaping 1/4 teas. sweet basil
1/4 Tbsp. sugar
1/8 teas. garlic powder
1/4 Tbsp. worchestershire sauce
3/4 teas. oregano

Stir all together then add 3 cans of chili beans. Add black pepper and chili powder until as hot and spicy as desired.

Slowly simmer for at least an hour.

I call this 3 bean taco soup buts its kinda like chili(and its quick,easy and delicious)

1lb ground venison(or any ground meat really)
2 regular size cans of Kidney beans-undrained
2 regular size cans of black beans-undrained
2 regular size cans of pinto beans-undrained
1 can of diced tomatoes with chiles(Rotel)-undrained
1 can of whole kernel corn-undrained
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of Hidden valley Ranch dressing powered

Brown meat and drain.
After meat is drained, put all ingredients in a stock pot stir well and bring to a boil.
Once brought to a boil, the soup is done. Let set about 10 minutes and it is ready to serve.

It is very good and freezes well.You can add any veggies you want,this is just a base that is amazing on its own

I have only got to make it with venison once,but its been good with ground beef or ground turkey as well

Last edited:

DXT

1 lb ground deer
Tbsp bacon grease
2 cans of kidney beans
1 can diced tomato with green chiles
2 cans tomato sauce
Chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
Dash of Cajun pepper
Tbsp or so crushed red pepper
Chili powder I add till I like it

Salt and pepper meat while browning

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My chili doesn't have a recipe per se. I have a general guideline I follow, then tweak it here and there each time I make it. No 2 batches are the same. I use red and yellow bell peppers, jalapenos, fresh garlic, hot sausage, ground deer, chunks of loin, and some other special ingredients I won't mention. I've made batch I'm confident would hold their own in a chili cook off and hope to do that some day. But then I would need an actual recipe to submit...

Huckleberry Finn

Grandpa's Chili, not very hot.

- onion
- celery
- 1 lb. ground beef or venison
- 2 small cans kidney beans
- 1 large can whole tomato
- 1 small can tomato puree
- 1 bottle chili sauce
- 1 package of Chili-O (any taco seasoning powder will do)

Cut onion and celery. Saute onions and celery in oil until onion starts to turn slightly gold color, then add and brown ground beef.

While beef is cooking, partially drain beans. Also partially drain & chop or cut the tomatoes Drain grease from beef. Mix in 1 package of Chili-O and add the remainder of ingredients.

Simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. After first 1/2 hour, add part of a second package of Chili-O, if not "hot" enough. Don't add water at the start of the process as advised on the package. Do it later if needed.

Tomato paste, sauce or puree can all be used as you prefer. Ad some ketchup to slightly sweeten it and add salt in disguise.

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
My chili is something that I am actually pretty proud of. I have placed in a few chili cook offs with it. It is loosely based upon Alton Brown's Chili recipe (found here) but definitely has been tweaked to what I like.

If you are making a traditional Texas red chili, it would be chunks of meat (kinda like stew meat) and no beans. My wife prefers beans and ground meat over the Texas red so I make it to please her most often.

2 lbs ground meat (I normally use both venison and beef but either will work).
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can light kidney beans
1 can black beans
tomato paste
chili powder (I make my own)
cayenne pepper
brown sugar
32+ oz of salsa

Start off by browning the meat and then add it to the pot (normally I use a crockpot). Add the cans of beans (and the juice). Add the tomato paste and add enough salsa to make the volume of chili you want. Add chili powder and cayenne pepper to taste. My chili powder has a different type of burn in your mouth from cayenne peppers so I balance them. I then add brown sugar to add some sweetness, once again to taste. Cook on low until heated through. The spice will grow as you cook it so you may need to add additional brown sugar as this will help cut the spiciness. I then thicken it with powdered Arrow root.

This is the basis to my competition chili as well but I can't tell you all my secrets. :smiley_bril:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Thanks guys.. can you find powdered arrow root anywhere?

It can be found at the grocery store IV the spice aisle but it's is expensive. I go to gfs and get their big package of it for about the same price. You can use it to thicken anything because it gives no flavor unlike flour and doesn't stop thickening like cornstarch if you get the liquid to hot.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I (wife) make about the same recipes has submitted but always use a pound of semi-hot sausage with the deer meat. Been using a 40 yr. old recipe I got out of a Marlin gun catalog. I'll look it up.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I (wife) make about the same recipes has submitted but always use a pound of semi-hot sausage with the deer meat. Been using a 40 yr. old recipe I got out of a Marlin gun catalog. I'll look it up.

X2 on the sausage here too Frank.... No need too add the hot spices just use hot sausage....

Last edited:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Always add Mexican Chorizo and a 3/4 bottle of good beer. (drink the other 1/4 and the last five).

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I like my chili and soups big and running and use good flavored crackers to thicken it up to suit me.
Plus fresh chopped onions on top. With green onion tops is even better.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I like my chili and soups big and running and use good flavored crackers to thicken it up to suit me.
Plus fresh chopped onions on top. With green onion tops is even better.

You had me until the onion part Frank lol.... Like the flavor of onion just not he onion itself lol if that makes sense haha.....