Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sunday Hunting on Ohio River

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been searching all over for specific language on the rules/laws surrounding Sunday hunting on the Ohio River. Because WV does not allow Sunday hunting, the river is off limits. However I'm unsure of that applies to the entire river including backwaters, or just the waters owned/claimed by WV.

Any help with this is much appreciated.

epe

Lancaster
When I was hunting the river I researched it. On the muskingum, you have to be above the first lock. No hunting the little backwaters.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No hunting the little backwaters.

That's retarded. I'm hunting a backwater on the Ohio side and it is barely big enough to get a boat through the mouth. Pisses me off I can only hunt this blind on Saturday. What's the fine for hitting it on Sunday? We might just put out a donation jar... :smiley_coolpeace:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's retarded. I'm hunting a backwater on the Ohio side and it is barely big enough to get a boat through the mouth. Pisses me off I can only hunt this blind on Saturday. What's the fine for hitting it on Sunday? We might just put out a donation jar... :smiley_coolpeace:

Dual violation brother. Dam that canal up. No longer an estuary it's a private pond.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Would the Sunday hunting be a dual violation if it is not federally mandated? I know all violations to bag limits, shooting times, and the like are duel violations because the Feds regulate the migratory birds. But are ALL violations given on a waterfowl hunt also dual violations?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Would the Sunday hunting be a dual violation if it is not federally mandated? I know all violations to bag limits, shooting times, and the like are duel violations because the Feds regulate the migratory birds. But are ALL violations given on a waterfowl hunt also dual violations?

Yep. That's the way I understand it. USFW want's their cut too.

Dual Violation
Violation of state migratory bird regulations is also a violation of federal regulations.
http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/hunting_waterfowl.aspx

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It seems like when it was illegal to hunt in Ohio on Sunday, it was still legal to hunt waterfowl. I may well be wrong on that and perhaps some of long-time waterfowlers would know better than me?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
From the DNR...

Thank you writing us with your questions on waterfowl hunting on the Ohio River. As you know, the Ohio River is a common border with several other states, like Kentucky (KY) and West Virginia (WV). This has often created some complex scenarios for regulations governing hunting and fishing, including waterfowl hunting. I will attempt to summarize our understanding of these activities.

The following information is contained in Division of Wildlife Publication #404, Waterfowl Hunting Fishing on the Ohio River, West Virginia and Ohio. You may request a copy by emailing back or calling 1-800-WILDLIFE. West Virginia is in the Atlantic Flyway and Ohio is in the Mississippi Flyway. Therefore waterfowl management regulations on seasons and bag limits may differ. It is the hunter's responsibility to know existing laws and rules found in each state's hunting regulations. Waterfowl hunting on or over the Ohio River and WV embayment/tributaries may take place only during WV's open seasons and your Ohio hunting license/stamps would be valid for hunting here. WV does not allow hunting on Sunday. You may hunt from the Ohio bank of the river only when the Ohio season is open as well as the WV season, but not on Sunday. When the Ohio season is open and the WV season is closed, hunting (including Sunday) can only take place on Ohio River embayments and tributaries that are within the boundaries of Ohio (up into Ohio and not on the main stem or main shoreline). Waterfowl that fall into the Ohio River during a closed WV season can be retrieved from the Ohio River main stem.

While hunting the main stem of the Ohio River bordered by Ohio and KY, as well as embayments and tributaries on the Ohio side, you may hunt using your Ohio hunting license/stamps and follow Ohio waterfowl hunting regulations. If you are hunting in any embayments or tributaries of the Ohio River on the KY side, you must be properly licensed by KY and follow their regulations.

If you have further questions you may wish to contact the law enforcement section at the Wildlife District Four Headquarters in Athens at 740-589-9930. They administer those counties bordering WV and KY in Southeast Ohio, and patrol and enforce regulations along the Ohio River. Thank you again for writing us and I hope this information was helpful.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So the way I read this is that when WV waterfowl season is in, I can't hunt my spot even though it is clearly an Ohio backwater. But when their season is out, I can hunt it. WTF is up with that?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
So the way I read this is that when WV waterfowl season is in, I can't hunt my spot even though it is clearly an Ohio backwater. But when their season is out, I can hunt it. WTF is up with that?

waterfowl rules are a collection of retards and rejects....and i feel like i'm insulting the retards ranking them that high...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Here's what is even crazier is WV's seasons: WV Waterfowl Regs.

If their goose season is in, which one of there four seasons is in now, but their duck season is out, which none of their three seasons is in right now, can I still hunt my spot for ducks on Sunday? I guarantee our GW doesn't know the answers to these questions, nor do I ever expect to see a WO back here. This spot will get hunted on Sunday's. Especially considering the fact that our DNR is allowing ignorance of the law to be a viable excuse for game violations this year. So I'm ignorant of some ignorant laws. Fine me...

epe

Lancaster
It is all on wva seasons.. I hunted it while ours was out... Made a call to our odnr about if I got pulled over on the way home with birds in possession.. They had no answers

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So it breaks down like this for the 2013-2012 season.

WV duck and goose season closed on the 26th, so last Sunday and 11/3 were/are legal Sundays to hunt our backwater blind. They have no season in on 12/1, so we can hunt goose that day. Their duck and goose season starts on December 16th, so that means 12/15 is a legal Sunday. Then in January, their duck season is out, but goose season is in on January 26th, our last day to hunt ducks. Therefore, I deem that a legal Sunday if you don't shoot geese.

Pure craziness right there...