Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison kabob recipe?

teej89

NE PA
So I'm having a bunch of people over for a tailgate this weekend. As an appetizer I'm gonna make kabobs. However I'm not sure what to marinate the venison with. I'm thinking I wanna go along the lines of having green peppers onions tomatoes and jalapeños as the veggies with a strip of bacon in there.

Whatcha guys got for a good kabob recipe?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Salt and pepper or montreal steak seasoning or salt and your favorite spicy rub

Main and hardest part will be to not overcook them. Dear the outside and don't take them part medium or else they will be super tough. Also try to cut against the grain to make them feel more tender.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Mix some granulated garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper together, sprinkle both sides of venison and put in a zip lock bag add olive oil and put in fridge over night

teej89

NE PA
That's basically what I was thinking bout doing just doing oil salt pepper and garlic powder. I never heard about cutting against the grain, I'll have to give that a go. It's a bunch of my college buds and none of em hunt but one time I brought venison to our tailgate i and everyone was weirded out but they soon came to love it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This right here...

5440000171_CF___JPEG_3.JPG

There are plenty of guys around here that can vouch for my tenderloin and this is a big part of that. I'd marinade the chunks in this for 3 days, then pat dry and dust with a dry rub kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic, onion powder, and a touch of cayenne depending on how hot you like them. Add some large 31-40 type shrimp to the skewers ass well. Use some red and white onions, red/yellow/green peppers, and tomatoes if you like.

teej89

NE PA
holy crap both recipes sound frickin' amazing Jesse and gordo.

I think I'm doing a 50/50 of both of em lol cuz I wanna throw some bacon in the mix cuz come on, you could wrap a turd in bacon and people would love it hahaha but then I wanna have a marinated batch without bacon.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
That's basically what I was thinking bout doing just doing oil salt pepper and garlic powder. I never heard about cutting against the grain, I'll have to give that a go. It's a bunch of my college buds and none of em hunt but one time I brought venison to our tailgate i and everyone was weirded out but they soon came to love it.

If you cut with the grain that leaves the longest muscle fibers to chew through which can make something seem chewier than it is. If you cut across the grain then it breaks apart easier as you have shorter muscle fibers and seems more tender. Its why they cut flank steaks and such that way when they are serving them up for fajitas or if you go and get a cheap steak at a restaurant and they serve it sliced, its probably against the grain.