Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backyard buck survival story

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Here is a buck that I have pictures of for the last 3 years.

As you can see from the first set of pictures he was shot with an arrow and survived with a broken XX78 sticking out of his shoulder. I believe he was just 1-1/2 years old at the time......

I had my doubts as to whether he would survive the winter with a wound like that, until he showed up in my back yard last summer.......He looked very healthy and his rack was quite impressive for a 2-1/2 year old.

As you can see he has the scar from the wound, but the arrow is gone and somewhat healed up.

I didn't know if he was killed last year, and so I had the camera set up again in the backyard to see what might be around.

Yesterday I went out and pulled the card on the camera and look who showed up again this year!

He is a solid looking 3-1/2 year old now and has some impressive main beams. He grew an extra point on his right side, and you can still see the scar from the arrow wound 2 years ago.

I'm not sure what he would score, my guess is mid 130's. It just goes to show what an amazing animal the whitetail buck is.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I remember seeing that first picture. What a cool story. They definitely are tough animals. How well does the deer get around, or have you seen him? Does he have a noticable limp?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice story Chad! You going to have any reservations in a year or two when you shoot him?:smiley_devil: I kinda miss the mischievious grin smiley.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Great story, totally amazing what this guy has lived through. Hate to say it but you almost kind of hope he has a long life ahead of him.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pretty cool. I wonder if the braodhead is still in him or if he was able to get it out with the rest of the arrow.

Judging by the penetration i would say it looks to be a rage two blade..

I need coonies favorite green smiley

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

You need to get the one with his eyes buggin out too lol

LMAO!

Awesome story and pictures, Chad. Just goes to show you how tough whitetails really are. I bet there are a lot more formally-wounded deer running around the woods than most people think. I'd say he's a solid 130's buck this year... I wonder what he'll look like next year if he makes it... monster 10?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I remember seeing that first picture. What a cool story. They definitely are tough animals. How well does the deer get around, or have you seen him? Does he have a noticable limp?

He gets around just fine from what I've seen. He likes to stay in the open country when the crops are on. Two of my neighbors got trail cam pictures of him last year during hunting season, but he avoided getting shot....and there is quite a bit of pressure around this area.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra

Yeah, that narrows it down to who probably shot him also.....since there are only about 1 or 2 guys around here that are still shooting aluminum arrows. The guy usually wounds 1 or 2 bucks every year.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Very nice story Chad! You going to have any reservations in a year or two when you shoot him?:smiley_devil: I kinda miss the mischievious grin smiley.

I really doubt I would shoot him. I don't do any hunting around my place to speak of due to the amount of hunting pressure, although I am thinking of setting up a stand and ground blind on my place this year to try and take a doe. Who knows, if he would make it another year he might be worthy of putting a little time in to hunt for. I have planted about 1-1/2 acres of corn on my place this year just to attract and hold some deer during the late season. Maybe this will be just the amount of cover needed for him to survive during the gun week. Also, there is a lot of corn around my place, but most of it will be gone when gun season rolls around. I figure the deer will be hanging around my house quite a bit once the other crops come off. My goal for this season was to kill a doe or 2 on my own property, and to have one of the kids sitting with me when I do it. These pictures are only about 50 yards from my house, but I have a lot of large pine trees and a lot of other trees around, so the deer are not afraid to come into the yard during daylight hours.