Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Knapped head for a skin head.

Diablo54

Outside
My season had been pretty slow up until Saturday morning. I had been hunting quite a bit with few deer sightings. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. My superstitions were going crazy. Certain hat certain socks certain way of wearing my hat certain way of having my arrows in my quiver. Wrong pre hunt prayer right pre hunt prayer. Certain knife certain place to put the knife. Yeah I'm weird but it works! I figured out exactly what it was! I had to have my buck knife with me and it couldn't be on my belt it had to be in my pocket. And my prayer was wrong but that's a different story. Saturday morning I climbed In a spot that I had never hunted over looking a big corn field. I had hunted 60 yards from there and watched a nice one walk the edge tho. So I found a tree on the edge and climbed up. I could see a long way and figured I would see deer but they probably wouldn't be close. I was wrong.. 20 minutes into my hunt I saw a nice looking 8 point in a open spot in the middle of the corn. He disappeared and 15 minutes later I could hear walking coming my way from the right. I kept telling myself it was just a squirrel but it wasn't. It was a doe and I couldn't see her until she was 15 yards from me and she picked me off as I went to grab my bow. She ran off and a few minutes later here came another one doing exactly what she had done. So I got ready but it was a small buck that was hot on her trail. After watching him for a few minutes I could hear something else. I turned to see a 6 point come out of the corn and walk by at 15 yards. Pretty good hunt that morning. Saturday evening I forgot my knife so therefore I didn't see any deer lol. But Sunday morning i got in the stand and waited for a bit and had a doe come out of the corn and walk the edge at 15 yards. She was walking a good pace and she wouldn't stop so I opted not to shoot. After watching her slip away I looked to my left and could see 2 does on the edge 100 yds away milling around in the brush. They would run in the brush and then run into the corn. Looked like a game of hide and seek to me. They eventually went into the corn and didn't come back. The next 30 min were uneventful except for the hawk behind me trying to get a squirrel. Then I looked up and saw the 2 does were back out and headed my way. I was pretty focused on them when I caught movement on my right on the edge. Here came a group of does walking the edge. They got next to me and all turned right to me. Perfect. I picked out the biggest one and watched her. She came right to me. At 8 yards I pulled back picked a spot and released. My obsidian head buried pretty deep Into her but I didn't get a pass through. She bounded away and stopped at 20 yards quartered away pretty good. I was already renocked and sent another through her. This one went through at the last rib but angled right into her lungs. Then I realized I had shot her with two obsidian heads. I didn't want to waste a head on a second shot. The first one would have killed her but 2 holes are better than one in my book. She ran out to the edge of the corn and looked like a shishkabob standing there. Cedar shafts sticking out of her. She started swaying and then fell over stiff as a board. I had a giant grin on my face. And may have shaken just a little. ;). I sat down and enjoyed the moment. I wondered how many people have shot a deer with a stone stuck onto the end of an arrow and figured not to many since the Indians lol. I don't even think the 1%er has done anything like it before. But he'll he is still the best. It was a neat feeling none the less. After sitting for a minute I texted a few people and called my dad. We talked and he said congrats and yadayada. I climbed down and found hair at impact. I followed the blood trail and walked right to her. I pulled the arrow out of her and it was amazingly still in tact. I figured for sure the head would be broken but luckily it wasn't! The arrow from the original shot had broken off. I looked for the head but couldn't find it anywhere. I figure it is probably in the gut pile. On my way home I imagined someone tommorow poking around at the gut pile and seeing that arrowhead and getting creeped out! (What is this?) a 400 year old deer? Or are the Indians still around!? Haha. It was an awesome experience and I can't wait to try to learn to knapp. Thankfully I know some good guys who shared there arrowheads that they make with me. She is all cut up now and in the freezer. Now it's time to look for mister buck. Thanks for reading my crappy story :). Good luck to all of you!

Diablo54

Outside
Better pics tommorow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382318701.949617.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382318716.483184.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382318729.644253.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382318739.895697.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Crappy story? I don't think so. I was glued to every word brother. You show a respect beyond that which many can relate to. You show patience, wisdom, and perseverance I have great respect for. Sticking to your trad gear and continually upping the bar is awesome. I was thinking you made these arrows. Were they the first you had made yourself? Either way, it is quite an accomplishment and I give you many kuddos young man! Congratulations and my utmost respect!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
You have earned all lot of respect from me. To be able to do what you do and at your age speaks volumes about you. Congrats on a very well earned doe.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's a great story Taylor, and I admire your determination to hunt with traditional equipment! You are a true outdoorsmen and a well rounded individual. Congrats buddy!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Awesome stuff man. Great story and I am left wondering why you didn't put a cam over the gut pile to capture the guy poking it and wondering where the Indian is and looking into every tree trying to see a glimpse lmao.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Awesome stuff man. Great story and I am left wondering why you didn't put a cam over the gut pile to capture the guy poking it and wondering where the Indian is and looking into every tree trying to see a glimpse lmao.

Indians don't use trail cameras silly!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Indians don't use trail cameras silly!

You said that word again! YKW!!!!

Taylor, what can I say buddy that already hasn't been said! You know how much respect I have for you and your determination and skill and you continue to do year in and year out with your trad equipment says it all on its own!

A huge congratulations to you on this awesome accomplishment! Great read and great hunt! Well done buddy!:smiley_clap:

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I thought is was a great story and a fine kill. Nothing crappy about it. You did well! Nice job!