Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Powerbelt

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Has anyone ever shot a powerbelt that didn't explode in a deer. I think I should email them and recommend a name change to powerbombs. Lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382214502.108655.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Powerbelts don't hold up to hot loads or hard bones. I think Lundy will verify this... I've never had an issue with xtp's coming apart with the light load I put behind them, but I rarely find them as they generally travel on through. Having said all that, while gutting the second of Mike's pets that Mason shot last weekend, something cut my hand and it wasn't my knife. Could have been a chunk of bone but I figured the xtp may have came apart on that one.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My xtps do the same depending on distance and shot placement.

Are you just now cutting up?

Yep. Three 22 pound bags of ice unopened and holes poked in the bags, covered with a towel. Then deer quarters on top. Don't open it and pull the drain plug once in the morning and night. Keeps the meat about 33-35 and let's it age. Way better method than letting them hang where air dries them.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Yep. Three 22 pound bags of ice unopened and holes poked in the bags, covered with a towel. Then deer quarters on top. Don't open it and pull the drain plug once in the morning and night. Keeps the meat about 33-35 and let's it age. Way better method than letting them hang where air dries them.

You wrap em in wax paper or saran wrap?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
How does the aging work out for you?

I had read that since wild game doesn't have the internal marbling of beef that adding doesn't do as much for it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How does the aging work out for you?

I had read that since wild game doesn't have the internal marbling of beef that adding doesn't do as much for it.

Without a doubt. To me it's imperative. I believe the biggest naysayers against aging are butchers who don't want it taking up freezer space for a week, and people who don't want to bother with it. It's not about fat or marbling. It's enzymes that age the meat making it more tender and less gamey. To me there is no doubt. Meh. I was going to type a bunch but here.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2006/01/deer-hang-time

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I haven't had any large problems with gameyness in my deer meat in quite a few years. I also have not shot any super old bucks recently either. I may try it if the weather is appropriate or if I get a cooler like yours at Christmas.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I haven't had any large problems with gameyness in my deer meat in quite a few years. I also have not shot any super old bucks recently either. I may try it if the weather is appropriate or if I get a cooler like yours at Christmas.

Wal mart 68 bucks. Keeps the meet below 40. With three 22lb bags of ice mine says at 35 for days and days. I prefer it over hanging them. Outdoor temps fluctuate and the air dries them out. The cooler method I think works way better. And if it's freezing outside I keep it in the garage where it's a little warmer which prevents freezing at night.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Oh... as for the original question. i shoot powerbelts myself, but have yet to put one in a deer. i am anxious to find out what they do on impact.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh... as for the original question. i shoot powerbelts myself, but have yet to put one in a deer. i am anxious to find out what they do on impact.

Knocks the snot out of them and spontaneously disassembles. Lol. That doe I shot at strouds high in the shoulder in the spine landed on he back. After skinning you could have stuck your hand through the hole in her spine. Most definitely stay off the shoulder or it'll waste them.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Just read a good article in Guns & Ammo about whitetail bullets: penetration (straight through) or expansion. The author concluded that both kill deer...

Last edited:

Lundy

I have hunted almost exclusively with MZ's for the last 20 years and I can only tell you that Powerbelts would not be my first choice, or my second, or my third, or my forth, or my..........ever

Just my choice, everyone gets to make their own choices for their own reasons. A lot of deer are killed with them

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have hunted almost exclusively with MZ's for the last 20 years and I can only tell you that Powerbelts would not be my first choice, or my second, or my third, or my forth, or my..........ever

Just my choice, everyone gets to make their own choices for their own reasons. A lot of deer are killed with them

Interesting as this is the same as I've read. I haven't used jacketed bullets or sabots in a ML till this year. New experience. Since going smokeless ML I probably won't go back to lead bullets.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I've been deer hunting with my encore (even during shotgun) since they first came out, I've tried a lot of different combos of bullets and powerbelt shoots the best in my gun .50 cal 245 grain 100 grains pyrodex pellets.

I've killed around 10 deer with that combo and the longest track job was about 30 yds.
My father-in-law has a newer encore and he uses the same combo but isn't as consistent as mine at 100 yds