Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Understanding wind currents

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Hoping someone can help me figure out what was happening tonight.

The property.

This is a good a spot as you will find around here.North is at the top of the pic. The small field to the south center of the pic is corn this year. The top edge of the pic is a fence row with a HUGE cornfield above it. The field to the east is kind of a mystery to me. He plants beans every year. Last year he didn't plant the northern 1/3 of the field, just left it go. Those beans didn't come off till this past spring.
This year he still didn't plant that part of the field but he did mow it a couple months ago. It is now a plush carpet of clover, timothy, and rye grass.The middle one third of the field went unplanted this year, but he did till it in the spring. It is currently chest high weeds, with big dirt clods and deep ruts under it. It is a nightmare to walk through. the lower 1/3 of the field is again, beans. They weren't planted till late and I would bet money they will stand all winter. The woods are a mix of large old growth hardwoods, mostly black and white oak, with several areas of baseball bat sized saplings. Add a small shallow secluded pond that cant be seen from the road in any direction. you found a good spot. There are at least three shooter bucks in the area. I've gotten tons of TC pics in the area of the new stand to the north.

So far this season, i've sat in the cove stand 2 evenings. This isn't a great evening spot, they seem to use it more in the morning and mid day, But it does give a great view of the northern part of the field. On both sits I saw deer coming out of the woods about halfway between the corner where the green changes colors, and the south edge of the pond. i knew there were some gigantic oaks just below the pond, but i was waiting for a west wind to venture in there.

We got off work early today and i had enough time to get to this property by 3:00. Weather bug was calling for a west wind with increasing velocity from 5 to 12 mph as the evening wore on. I went straight from work, so my clothes were kinda work smelly, but my camo in the jeep had been smoked and stored in a tote. i also sprayed my work clothes down with scent killer before putting my camo on over top. I sat up about 50 yards inside the tree line just about even with the southern edge of the pond. Right in what i figured to be the sweet spot.

The wind did come from the west, and it did pick up speed as time went on, But I noticed that the falling leaves were blowing east, right back into the woods. i took out my windicater, and every puff went streaming east into the woods.

Why?

was it the pond right there? was it coming over the tree tops, down into the field and eddying back? It seemed like the harder the wind gusted from the WNW the harder it blew back into the woods to the east.

This is a good spot, any suggestions on what to do are welcome. My thoughts are to move further back into the woods and sit a west wind again, or to wait for a more south west wind. i really want to move north into the new stand, but I need to get this wind thing figured out. There are some good deer up there but I dont want to bugger it up and ruin the spot.

One thing for sure. No more going in after work. i want to be freshly showered, sprayed down and smoked up before i go back in there.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I did notice the wind was swirling a lot as I was walking out through the light shaded field. i just hope the varying wind direction kept em hunkered down. and i didnt booger anything up to bad.

I think this is kind of a generalized question really. Ric had mentioned how thermals work in the hills at strouds. I kind of understand that. I have been curious about how obstructions effect wind direction. That wind is blowing across that open field, what does it do when it hits that treeline? The wind is blowing a good clip over the hills, what is it doing in the valleys between the hills?That sort of thing.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How fast was the wind blowing?

When you hunt the big bottom of our farm, a W wind will corkscrew down the bottom as it comes over one hill and hits the woods on another ridge. A still breeze blowing over a thick stand of timber can "tuck and roll" as it comes over, causing a "east" wind. Also like Jim pointed out, the passing front can accomplish the same thing...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
How fast was the wind blowing?

When you hunt the big bottom of our farm, a W wind will corkscrew down the bottom as it comes over one hill and hits the woods on another ridge. A still breeze blowing over a thick stand of timber can "tuck and roll" as it comes over, causing a "east" wind. Also like Jim pointed out, the passing front can accomplish the same thing...

The property I hunt, on the edsges of the saddle, is the same way. Whatever the wind direction is in the rest of the county it is opposite on the property.

As far as yesterday goes, I noticed when I stepped outside at my house the wind was swirling. I'm sure it was the front coming through.

If it always swirls there, I'd try to find a higher point if you can to get a more consistent wind direction.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
A lot of times up here in the flatlands the wind will come across the tops of the trees till it gets too the downwind side and then seems to tumble down from the top of the timber back into the woods, its especially worse when the wind is strong.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'd try to find a higher point if you can to get a more consistent wind direction.

flat lander here. Lol A "higher point" is only an elevation change of a couple feet. Not even enough to show up on topo.

its especially worse when the wind is strong.

thats what I was noticing, when it was a gentle 5 mph breeze it was blowing west, but when it gusted it came back in from the west facing tree line.

I think next time i might slip a little further back, There is a hill top back there that has a couple good oaks on it.