Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Raccoons and Daylight Hunting On WA's

Was reading the 2013-14 regulations today. In the past it was illegal to hunt on public lands during daylight hours with a rifle from Sept 1 to Dec 31. Squirrel hunting with a rimfire rifle was allowed but no other game was legal. I can't find this regulation stated in the 2013-14 regulations. I sure hoped the state changed this rule. I'd love to be able to call raccoons in the daylight on public land. Would give me somthing to do between my morning and evening deer sits this year. I have lots of public land near where I deer hunt. Anyone have any insight on this rule being changed?

Hortontotor,
There's three ways to know for sure. Look it up under the Ohio Administrative Code and Ohio Revised Code, online or e-mail them or call your the main office in Columbus. I like e-mailing them, that way you have a copy of their correspondence, in writing.

Bowhunter57

Guess all my raccoon hunting will be in the dark.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt any wild animal on any public hunting area listed in paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule with any device or by any means other than shotguns; falconry; longbow and arrow; muzzleloading rifles and shotguns; and crossbows and arrows. However, rifles and handguns may be used to take furbearing animals from six p.m. to six a.m., handguns may also be used to take squirrels during open seasons and handguns may be used to take deer during the deer gun season in accordance with rule 1501:31-15-11 of the Administrative Code.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Guess all my raccoon hunting will be in the dark.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to hunt any wild animal on any public hunting area listed in paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule with any device or by any means other than shotguns; falconry; longbow and arrow; muzzleloading rifles and shotguns; and crossbows and arrows. However, rifles and handguns may be used to take furbearing animals from six p.m. to six a.m., handguns may also be used to take squirrels during open seasons and handguns may be used to take deer during the deer gun season in accordance with rule 1501:31-15-11 of the Administrative Code.

So if I read this Right it means you can't hunt squirrels on public land with a .22 during daylight hours?

I'm still confused. The booklet shows that a rifle is legal to hunt with for small game.

ALLOWABLE small game HUNTING EQUIPMENT
Squirrel, Ruffed Grouse,
Cottontail Rabbit,
Ring-necked Pheasant,
Chukar, Bobwhite Quail,
Fox, Raccoon, Skunk,
Opossum, Weasel, Crow,
Coyote, Feral Swine
(wild boar), Groundhog
Longbow or Bow: This would include compound bows and recurve bows.
Crossbow
Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful. While hunting, it is unlawful to have
attached to a longbow or crossbow any mechanical, electrical, or electronic device
capable of projecting a beam of light.
Handgun: any caliber
Rifle: any caliber
It is unlawful for any person to use or hunt with any rifle during the deer gun, the
youth deer gun, the antlerless deer muzzleloader, and the statewide muzzleloader
seasons other than a muzzleloading rifle .38 caliber or larger.
Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun
Airgun

Also from the Regulations booklet.

ON Public Hunting Lands
It is unlawful for any person to use a rifle,
pistol, revolver, shotgun, or other firearm
at any time on any land or water area
controlled or administered by the Ohio
Division of Wildlife except while lawfully
trapping or hunting wild animals, or target practicing on a designated Ohio Division
of Wildlife target range.

From the Ohio Administrative Code.

Seems every where I read things contradict one another.

I spoke to a person at District Three and was told I could legally hunt racccoons during daylight hours on Public Hunting areas except during any deer gun seasons.

Lets add to the confusion. Copied from the ODNR website today

Fox, Raccoon, Skunk, Opossum, Weasel, Squirrel,
Cottontail Rabbit, Ring-necked Pheasant, Chukar, Ruffed
Grouse, Bobwhite Quail, and Crow
Refer to Hunting Regulations for Season Dates
Longbow - includes compound and recurve bows

Crossbow

Poisoned or explosive arrows are unlawful. While hunting, it is unlawful to have attached to a longbow or crossbow any mechanical, electrical, or electronic device capable of projecting a beam of light.

Handgun – any caliber

Rifle – any caliber

It is unlawful for any person to use or hunt with any rifle during the deer gun, the youth deer gun, the early muzzleloader hunts (Salt Fork Wildlife Area, Wildcat Hollow, and Shawnee State Forest), and the statewide muzzleloader seasons other than a muzzleloading rifle .38 caliber or larger.

Shotgun – 10 gauge or smaller

Airgun

Seems the three ML hunts mentioned are long gone.