Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First 11 days of bow season down 30%

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Interesting statistic. Other than Union Co. All other counties show a major to minimal declines in the harvest this year. Lack of deer, unseasonal weather and hunting participation are most likely the reasons. Thanks for sharing.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Personally, I know I used the antlerless muzzy season as an excuse to keep Mason off the trigger, and even out of the woods early this season. I'm looking forward to the numbers of the muzzy season to see if we catch up with harvest stats from last year. I didn't see many hunters out where we were, but I gotta believe the total kill will catch up with last years.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Interesting statistic. Other than Union Co. All other counties show a major to minimal declines in the harvest this year. Lack of deer, unseasonal weather and hunting participation are most likely the reasons. Thanks for sharing.

I don't think we can blame weather, Ron. It's always hot in Ohio the first couple weeks of October. We get a rare cool spell on opening weekend, an usually high number of deer are killed. That happened last year and the year before, but generally, bowhunting is tough and hot until Halloween.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
All i know is i have not even been in the woods yet and I'm not seeing anything encouraging enough to get me motivated.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I see what your saying, Brock, but for me as an example. I went for a total of 3 hrs. Saturday afternoon till dark. I really didn't want to pull the hammer back on anything. Just to warm for me personally. As a matter of fact, I haven't even set one minute in my stands this year for bow hunting. Work and weather has kept me from that.
I am hoping that this weather cools down and work allows me to take some time off here in November.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I see what your saying, Brock, but for me as an example. I went for a total of 3 hrs. Saturday afternoon till dark. I really didn't want to pull the hammer back on anything. Just to warm for me personally. As a matter of fact, I haven't even set one minute in my stands this year for bow hunting. Work and weather has kept me from that.
I am hoping that this weather cools down and work allows me to take some time off here in November.

I'm in he same boat minus the work part Ron.... Hard too get motivated too go get on stand too sweat and battle skeeters..... Cooling down here this week starting Wednesday and we'll see how that washes out....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
All i know is i have not even been in the woods yet and I'm not seeing anything encouraging enough to get me motivated.

And the smaller the herd gets, the smaller hunter interest will get TOO. I've only been out once so far, but I've had opportunities to go more.

Now come late October & into November I'll be out as much as possible. Beyond that though... Meh... I'd rather chase ducks & geese, and share the time in the blind with good friends & family.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
And the smaller the herd gets, the smaller hunter interest will get TOO. I've only been out once so far, but I've had opportunities to go more.

Now come late October & into November I'll be out as much as possible. Beyond that though... Meh... I'd rather chase ducks & geese, and share the time in the blind with good friends & family.

NOW were talkin!!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't been overly excited like I will be in 2 weeks. Had shot opps at 5 deer today. 2 bucks, 2 fawns, one young doe, and one Momma doe. Pulled out my camera. Too hot to drag one and butcher. Plus, I have seen very few does thus far this season. My hunting has been to scout and see if we have enough does around to justify killing one. If not, I will kill a button buck this year for meat.