Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Hall of Fame Inductee : Connor's First Deer

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
This is the story of my son's first deer.

We decided to go for the early muzzy season in hopes of Connor finally sealing the deal on his first deer.
Connor has been hunting with me since he was 6-7 years old. The first couple years he just went with me and sat.
At 10 he started hunting as well. We got him an apprentice license and a rossi 20 gauge. He went with me for gun season the next 2 years.
He never got a shot but the time we spent together was priceless.
When he turned 12 I bought him a crossbow. He hunted several times the first year and shot a doe. Unfortunately the shot was little high and the doe lived to be hunted another day.
Last year he had the chance to shoot his 20gauge but once again after hours of searching we never found the deer.

This year we decided he would sit with a goody buddy of mine. His stand is in the best location on the farm we hunt. It is rare to not see soe deer in this stand. Saturday morning they headed to the stand for the first time this year.
While our buddy was prepping the stand with the padding on the rails. Connor spotted a deer. He was still on the ground but had a good view of a long valley that fed to a creek to his right. It wasa buck. They watched the deer for about a half hour since this was a no buck weekend.
No other deer were seen this sit.

Afternoon comes and it is tiem to head back in. Connor goes back to the same stand.
At about 4:45 our buddy is asleep in the stand when Connor sees one coming in. It is a decent doe and it is heading right towards him. He wakes up our buddy and points out the deer.
The doe continues straight at themand is extremely skittish due to the farmer behind them running corn.
Eventuallythe deer turns its head long enough for Connor to raise his gun.
The deer is quartering hard towards them and my buddy tells Connor as soon as you feel comfortable with the shot take it. "BOOM"
No sooner than he gets the words out Connor shoots.

Doe drops right were it was and rolls backward to the creek. It was about a 40 yard shot.
This was the first time Connor had ever shot a muzzeloader. I had just talked him into hunting with my Omega the day before instead of his compound bow.

There happened to be 3 other doe with this one. After the shot they ran off only to return a few minutes later. My buddy was able to take the oldest and biggest as well.

By 5:15 I was climbing from my stand to join them in celebration. Not only was it his first deer but it was a perfect shot.
He has since informed me that I am not getting my Muzzy back.

As I am sure all of you can relate. I am one proud Dad. Neither one of us has stopped grinning yet.

I have some great pictures I will post as soon as I get them downloaded on the puter.

Last edited by a moderator: