Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3 Pepper, 3 Bean, 3 Beer Venison Chili

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
2 lbs. ground venison
1 can 28oz crushed tomatoes
1 can 28oz tomatoe sauce
1 can 15oz kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
2 can 15oz chili beans with sauce
1 can 15oz black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 to 2 green bell peppers
3 jalapenos
3 hungarian wax peppers
1 red onion
3 cloves of fresh garlic pressed
2 tbs salt
3 tbs chili powder
2 tbs black pepper (use cayenne pepper if you want to go hotter)

Brown the meat, chop up the peppers how you like them (I like bigger chuncks vs. finely chopped), mix in the beans & seasonings then simmer on low for 4 to 5 hours. Stir occasionally and add more seasons to you tastes. I also just did this in the crockpot on low for about 6 hours earlier this week. It's a mildly spicy recipe as it is, so if you like "burn your butt the next day hot" you can add hotter peppers, or substitute cayenne pepper for the black pepper the recipe calls for.

The 3 beers comes after you get the chili cooking on a Saturday morning, you can then sit around and drink a few while you watch college football & wait for the chili to be ready.

Last edited:

teej89

NE PA
looks great! I'm giving her a go tomorrow, had to switch hot yellow peppers for the hungarian wax peppers. Couldn't find em to save my life lol

Reactions: switchhitter

at1010

*Supporting Member*
what if you want more than 3 beers?? hahahah looks good thanks for sharin!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good deal! Hope it turns out good for ya.

And I would certainly encourage more than 3 beers :smiley_cheers: unless you're planning on having the chili then getting up early the next morning to bowhunt. In that case, you really better pay attention to wind direction.

Reactions: Left field

teej89

NE PA
Haven't tried the chili yet but note to self. Cut pinion prior to cutting peppers cuz if you cut the peppers first and then the onion and the onion is potent and you run your eyes. It's not gonna feel good. Let me tell you.

teej89

NE PA
The chili was.... how can I put it. AWESOME haha I had people from tailgates beside us saying they heard about my chili and wanted a sample. It was hilarious, thanks curran!

And I threw in about 2 tsp of cumin also. And a little bit of garlic powder.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This looks awesome.

What beer did you have in the picture with the chili? Looks like either a porter or a stout. I love either.

20221105_171758.jpg

Bump, because I'm tired of looking for this thread whenever its chili time.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Here were the ingredients in the chili i made the other day. Was the teacher's favorite in the chili cook off and my wife said one of the best I've made in a while. Can substitute verbosity for the lamb.

Ground hamburger
ground lamb
worchestershire sauce
black beans - canned
dark kidney beans
light kidney beans
tomato paste
can of beer
mild tomatoes with green chiles
adobo seasoning
cumin
6 pepper seasoning
danno spicy seasoning
danno Chipotle seasoning
brown sugar
Chipotles in adobo sauce (just the sauce)