Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Decoy problems.....

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
So I've been trying to make decoys today.... and I'm having problems getting the tail end to form..... trial and error I guess! Bodies look good though!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They look good man. My guess is the foam particles are just big enough to keep them from settling into that narrow tail thoroughly. Have you tried tapping on the mold or vibrating the mold while you're pouring?... similar to vibrating concrete as it's poured into a form?

Can you make the mixture thinner to allow for easier filling of tight spaces? (lol... no pun intended)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just realized... Are these being cooked in the oven, thus melting the foam particles? Looks like the tail isn't melting completely.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Think I got the problem fixed. I'm boiling them in a turkey fryer and I think the water pressure going into the mold moves the bead around. With the tail at the bottom of the fryer I think it was pushing the beads up towards the head. With the tail end up I'm getting perfect molds now! Ready to bust a dozen or so out and get them painted so I can hunt over them this season. Should be able to make 70 birds or so.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Goid deal rutin..what kinda xost you got into them with the beads and mold?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Goid deal rutin..what kinda xost you got into them with the beads and mold?

LOL... probably TOO much. I have $140 in the beads, and about $200 in molds ( diver body, puddler body, 3 heads).
I figure once I have the molds I can always make birds for me and my buddies. Plus I'll have the satisfaction of killing birds over birds I personally made.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Glad you got the tails figured out. They can be tricky. We would always get the mold filled & clamped shut, then tamp the tail of the mold on the ground really good to make sure that the beads fill in the tail void. Then continue stuffing the mold with more of the pre-expanded beads. You need sturdy tails too because you'll handle the decoys by the tail, plus if you're using a slotted bag the tails are going to be the first thing loaded into the slot. I always felt that it was better to go heavy on the beads to make a sturdier body, then to try and go on the lighter side and not have the body turn out as durable. Boiling's the way to go. The only down fall is that the bodies absorb water, so you need to let them dry out completely before you burlap them.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
This was my 1st pour,not bad it had a few hole in it,but I am happy with its size,thats a herters 72 for comparison,the reason I went with a sleeper mold was you don't have to buy a head mold

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Nice LD, look great. I like the sleepers as well, it'll prob be my next buy honestly.

Curran - yea its definitely a trial and error process. I'm def going a touch on the heavier side bc I want them to withstand abuse fairly well. I plan on making another batch of pre expanded beads tonight to make some more tomorrow. Let them dry for a few days and then start the bur lapping process!