Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First hunt of the year

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Well, i'm pretty excited to be hunting in the morning...i will be hunting with my dad and my 2 stepsons are going also...one will be shooting and the other will be be observing and learning the art of retreiving! Haven't seen a lot of ducks flying around but i'm sure the shots right at legal shooting time will get them up and moving...geese have been pretty steady though...hope i can sleep tonight...good luck to anyone else going out...should be an interesting weekend with antlerless muzzleloader going on too!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I had to look & see what was opened. Lol. Lake Erie Marsh Zone... Now I get it. Good luck out there & take some pics!!!

countryhunter50

You meant the lake Erie marsh zoo...I'm gonna wait until a Sun afternoon hunt. Which would of been a bow hunt if it wasn't the Ohio insurance agents depredations weekend aka early muzzleoader

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Really appreciate the interest in my success, but we were not able to produce any birds that morning...We only saw one woody at shooting time (no shots) and one more duck around 745 that flared off out of range...the guys in the water or on the water fronts still got some shooting in, but it wasn't as active as it has been the last couple of years...our spot is pretty much "running traffic"...

Geese were more active and up around 800am...we had a loner fly past us in stealth mode enroute to the lake and then we heard a shot on the lake that was prbly the last thing that bird heard...about the only thing we kind of did successfully was flagging down a flock of 20 geese and got them to turn our direction...we normally see geese flying back and forth in the marina way out of range, so I always try to flag them and start with a hail call...It has worked in the past and worked on saturday, but this day, they flared off out of range and our opportunity was gone.

There's a lot of things I want to look at and try to re-arrange with our set up...hopefully I get time to do that soon.

It was great to be out, setting up, calling and flagging down geese again and without a doubt my dad, 2 stepsons and I had a great time hunting together.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good deal man! It's all about getting out & having fun. Sounds like that mission was accomplished. Good luck next time out.