Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need to rant about a TV episode: Unethical

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Watching a tv show with a NASCAR celebrity as the hunter. Set him up with bow and he never connected. Brought him back with rifle. Takes a 170yd shot. Whiff. Reloads and fires again. Whiff. Reloads and fires. Whiff. Walks back to the truck with a dejected face. The outfitter/guide says "No. Here is my gun. You go shoot that elk." The elk are now 610yds away. Head back up to the rock and shoots him in one shot.

Okay. Sometimes we miss. It happens. I can see the second shot as you may have thought you hit on the first. I can even see the third if you feel you may have hit round one and two. In this situation, they seemed to have known they missed though so it negates my justification for follow up shots.

I have to rant though because you don't just grab someone else's gun and drop one at 610yds. I would never consider this myself, let alone on a TV show. If it were my gun AND I was practiced and very confident at 600yds it is different. I just don't think it is an ethical shot. Gun malfunction and 60yds? Grab your buddy's gun. I have no issue. But 600yds with a gun you aren't familiar with? Am I wrong to get frustrated watching the TV show present this message to their audience?

Well I am assuming the elk was held within 610 yards because of some fence in the background. Just sounds like one of those kinds of hunts. I guess I could understand a follow up shot, even after a miss, if I knew the gun was sighted in and I should have hit where I was aiming. If it was waaay off the mark then the light bulb should have turned on. Yeah I just don't see me ever walking back and borrowing someone else's gun to finish the story either.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw it too, Phil. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, this time. The man's gun was obviously off, as he missed badly. Like you, I'm gonna make assumptions here. I assume he's a pretty fair shot, and the guide knew that. I assume the guide knew exactly how is gun shoots and made adjustments accordingly to the scope, etc. An elk is huge. Hitting one at 600 in the kill zone would be as easy as a whitetail at 250, which is a very doable with a good rifle. Having said all that, hunting shows have just about run their course with me. I hate most all of them, with the exception of Bill Winke's show as I think he actually explains the thought process and uses pretty much the same style as he did when writing.

Huckleberry Finn

I hate most all of them, with the exception of Bill Winke's show as I think he actually explains the thought process and uses pretty much the same style as he did when writing.

I agree that he does it right too. He takes a lot of time to talk about what he is doing, his management strategy, and admits when he makes a mistake.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good point COB.

I can't watch hunting shows anymore. Mostly canned garbage to promote some product. Who gives a crap?!?!?

I find "most" of them ridiculous and annoying. Usually just something to fall asleep to at night or background noise while surfing TOO. lol

Shoulder Blade

I only watch these shows so I can get better at immediately field judging deer.

Everything else is just crap.

Back in the day, they did it right...,Fred bear type shit.

Now its just crap, except probably jim shockey.

Wadell, T-bone, Lee, Tiffany, Pat, Nicole, whoever, its all crap. Id tell them to their face, their ruining it.

The dreamseason: "tryin to capture what's its all about". What's its all about??

They pass up shots cause its not on camera, now I read about "amateurs" doing the same thing. Plain stupid.

How long before they start wearing advertising patches all over their camo like fishing or nascar "celebs"?

They have no gift, its nothing we can't do without some practice and money.

And Im sorry but the religous link makes zero sense to me. Does it really make sense that God, a diety that created and loves all unconditionally, happens to send a monster buck past some inbred-redneck's stand so he can put some out of state antlers on the wall?

Oh yeah he donated the meat to the poor cause "he wanted to help a needy family". Otherwise the thing would have rotted in the field like millions of buffalo did some 150 years ago.

All of em are crap. Watched a group of slunger hollow guys cuttin it up, hootin an hollerin, high fiven each other at an expo, acting larger than life. It boggles my mind that videotaping a deer hunt has tainted so many people.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Watching a tv show with a NASCAR celebrity as the hunter. Set him up with bow and he never connected. Brought him back with rifle. Takes a 170yd shot. Whiff. Reloads and fires again. Whiff. Reloads and fires. Whiff. Walks back to the truck with a dejected face. The outfitter/guide says "No. Here is my gun. You go shoot that elk." The elk are now 610yds away. Head back up to the rock and shoots him in one shot.

Okay. Sometimes we miss. It happens. I can see the second shot as you may have thought you hit on the first. I can even see the third if you feel you may have hit round one and two. In this situation, they seemed to have known they missed though so it negates my justification for follow up shots.

I have to rant though because you don't just grab someone else's gun and drop one at 610yds. I would never consider this myself, let alone on a TV show. If it were my gun AND I was practiced and very confident at 600yds it is different. I just don't think it is an ethical shot. Gun malfunction and 60yds? Grab your buddy's gun. I have no issue. But 600yds with a gun you aren't familiar with? Am I wrong to get frustrated watching the TV show present this message to their audience?

+1

I am so tired of these hunting shows these days... ready to cancel my Outdoor channell

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I only watch these shows so I can get better at immediately field judging deer.

Everything else is just crap.

Back in the day, they did it right...,Fred bear type shit.

Now its just crap, except probably jim shockey.

Wadell, T-bone, Lee, Tiffany, Pat, Nicole, whoever, its all crap. Id tell them to their face, their ruining it.

The dreamseason: "tryin to capture what's its all about". What's its all about??

They pass up shots cause its not on camera, now I read about "amateurs" doing the same thing. Plain stupid.

How long before they start wearing advertising patches all over their camo like fishing or nascar "celebs"?

They have no gift, its nothing we can't do without some practice and money.

And Im sorry but the religous link makes zero sense to me. Does it really make sense that God, a diety that created and loves all unconditionally, happens to send a monster buck past some inbred-redneck's stand so he can put some out of state antlers on the wall?

Oh yeah he donated the meat to the poor cause "he wanted to help a needy family". Otherwise the thing would have rotted in the field like millions of buffalo did some 150 years ago.

All of em are crap. Watched a group of slunger hollow guys cuttin it up, hootin an hollerin, high fiven each other at an expo, acting larger than life. It boggles my mind that videotaping a deer hunt has tainted so many people.

So very true... These TV ass wipes are amazing.. If it isn't on tape they wont do it.. If its a monster 180" deer they talk about horns all day.. If they cant find a monster buck on tape to shoot then they shoot one and say what monster body the deer had or say he was a 9year old buck and past his prime.. All bullshit.. Lets not forget the shity shots they assheads take.. shooting deer in the ass or taking 55yd shots.. Oh lets not forget, lets drag the hot sexy wife out there and have her make an ass out of herself shooting at something and missing with her free piece of shit TC rifle at 150yds.

It seems more and more people buying into the TV shit. Funny thing is they assheads get paid in free gear to say its the best they ever used, then you see the moron the following season not using it and claiming someone else gear is the greatest thing sicne the spear. That tells me his opinion is crap....

The end all be all is, lets drag god into all this... Lets sing his praise about how you just killed a deer or elk and say, god bless America..Sounds like the moron Nugent commercial..

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

teej89

NE PA
I've seen this episode and it's crazy cuz you can actually see the bullet travelling to the elk and he keeps consistently missing him in the same spot. Pretty sure it was something with his scope, they talked about it later in the episode.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Matthew- I recon I struck a nerve with you then? lol

I wasn't trying to bellyache about all the shows, but yes, many are similar. I just found this particular episode of this particular show to be a horrible message to viewers and unethical.

Not going to disagree with you on any of it though. Well, maybe with the TC. I like mine. Not a fan of Ritz, but I like my TC.

While I enjoy the company of God in the woods with me, I do agree with you on the TV shows they tend to force it down your throats a bit. Push it too far and it comes across as fake. Sad really.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Hallowed ground outdoors brings God into it, and I think they do it very tastefully. Some shows are just horrible, and you wonder how they got a contract. One thing I can promise FAFD will not be one if those shows if God willing we make it. It sure is a tough gig to get though. I've watched and I'm sure you guys have heard me complain about numerous shows and how they edit stuff. I can't believe they go through the editing process and say"this is great, its a wrap, send it to the network".

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
Matthew- I recon I struck a nerve with you then? lol

I wasn't trying to bellyache about all the shows, but yes, many are similar. I just found this particular episode of this particular show to be a horrible message to viewers and unethical.

Not going to disagree with you on any of it though. Well, maybe with the TC. I like mine. Not a fan of Ritz, but I like my TC.

While I enjoy the company of God in the woods with me, I do agree with you on the TV shows they tend to force it down your throats a bit. Push it too far and it comes across as fake. Sad really.

LOL, no nerve struck, I too am getting tired of these hunting shows. it hunting that's all... there's no hidden story about it, it's just hunting.. Since the beginning of time people have been harvesting animals for food..

If you want to be grateful for the animal you killed/harvested, that's wonderful because I am when I do.
If you wanna thank god for creating the animal, that's cool too.. Its just these shows on TV, god this god that.. give it a break would ya.

The other thing that erks me about these shows and personalities, is honesty and honor and their word.
I don't think most of them are. Reason being each year they switch products and swear by them that they are the best in the world and then they change their mind and then change it again.
All for money and free hunting gear and trips.

Just very sad. You mentioned TC.. I think they are the worse. I think they much give truck loads of these POS's to anyone with a camera and willing to say they are great.
You don't see that with Remington or Savage.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. I called today and cancelled my outdoor channel.

Oh regarding the original question of the 600yard shot, doesn't matter to me if its 2 feet or 2000, if you kill the animal humanly im good with it.
Its the same argument of using archery equipment that isn't a long bow and wooden arrow vs a crossbow. Are you really hunting. Everyone has their opinion on what hunting is.
Everyone has their thing they like and prefer to do, so go do it as long as it doesn't interfere with others or it wounds animals.. to each is own.

Anyways goods luck everyone. Cold temps moving in and i'm see a lot more seeking and buck fights this week..

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
LOL, no nerve struck, I too am getting tired of these hunting shows. it hunting that's all... there's no hidden story about it, it's just hunting.. Since the beginning of time people have been harvesting animals for food..

Well put. I like it. Might have a tip or pointer here and there but there aren't many secret beans in this world. Common sense, hard work and a little luck.

shows and personalities, is honesty and honor and their word.
I don't think most of them are. Reason being each year they switch products and swear by them that they are the best in the world and then they change their mind and then change it again.
All for money and free hunting gear and trips.

There is no loyalty amongst them. Company who has the deepest marketing pockets wins. Then again, does the bow, bullet, camo pattern, camera, or hokey supplement truly make a difference? Not usually. Only two effective and unique products I have found useful to me are the Scent Smoker and Evercalm. I use them both.

Just very sad. You mentioned TC.. I think they are the worse. I think they much give truck loads of these POS's to anyone with a camera and willing to say they are great.
You don't see that with Remington or Savage.

Anyways, enough of my ranting. I called today and cancelled my outdoor channel.

Oh regarding the original question of the 600yard shot, doesn't matter to me if its 2 feet or 2000, if you kill the animal humanly im good with it.
Its the same argument of using archery equipment that isn't a long bow and wooden arrow vs a crossbow. Are you really hunting. Everyone has their opinion on what hunting is.
Everyone has their thing they like and prefer to do, so go do it as long as it doesn't interfere with others or it wounds animals.. to each is own.

Anyways goods luck everyone. Cold temps moving in and i'm see a lot more seeking and buck fights this week..

I agree with this bolded text as well. It isn't my thing to take long range shots, but I am not against it when taken by a practiced marksman. For this guy to whiff three times, grab someone else's gun and attempt again at 600yds seems a bad message to me though. It gives a false message to "most" viewers. "Most" viewers can not grab another person's gun without shooting it and knock one down at 600yds. With their own gun they have practiced with? There are still many who couldn't do it. Those who can are generally very well acquainted with their gun.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
I agree with this bolded text as well. It isn't my thing to take long range shots, but I am not against it when taken by a practiced marksman. For this guy to whiff three times, grab someone else's gun and attempt again at 600yds seems a bad message to me though. It gives a false message to "most" viewers. "Most" viewers can not grab another person's gun without shooting it and knock one down at 600yds. With their own gun they have practiced with? There are still many who couldn't do it. Those who can are generally very well acquainted with their gun.

+1 totally agree... welcoming this colder weather... cant wait...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

they already do. One glance and you know what bow they shoot, what camo pattern they use, the underarmour logo is always visible right next to the scentlock logo. What binocs and rangefinder they use are usually pretty easy to figure out. The arrows and heads will be talked about after the recovery.

Ever notice there are usually more minutes devoted to commercials than hunting?