Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TC Encore ML sight in

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally got around to sight my TC Encore ML in today. 7-8 yrs. ago I bought a factory stainless 45-70 barrel for my TC Encore. I had my gunsmith friend tap the chamber for a Encore ML breach plug. I used 45 caliber Lee Real cast lead bullets and it shot good and dropped every deer I shot at with one shot.
Earlier this year I decided to go to smokeless muzzleloading firearm. I bought a Savage 50 caliber smokeless rifle. I ended up buying 9 of the Savage rifles before the Dist. ran out of the special discount. I sold 8 and kept one for myself which I later sold.
Lundy on Too introduced me to dougsmessgeboards.com which is a smokeless loading forum for the Savage rifle. On there I learned a lot about smokeless loading rifles.
Since I had a factory smokeless 45-70 barrel on Encore I could go smokeless. One of the guys on the forum designed a high pressure smokeless breach plug to replace the blackpowder factory Encore breach plug. So I got one.
I also ended up buying another Encore 45-70 converted barrel to smokelss off the forum and bought another Encore receiver kit. So I have 2 TC Encore 45 caliber smokeless ML rifles. One for the grandkids and one for grandpa. Life is good.

To make a long story short I sighted it in today with smokeless powder. It was sighted in with blackpowder but it was shooting almost 12 in. high with the smokeless load. I lowered the 1-4 power Leupold scope. So was a rather easy 3 shot sight in.

The result was one hole group at 50 yds. off a shooting bench. I used 45 caliber Harvester sabots and 40 caliber 200 gr. Hornaday plastic tip bullets. I won't give the smokeless load but it was a starting load and I see no reason to go higher. I sighted in 4 in. high at 50 yds.

The grandson aren't interested in shooting a doe this weekend so I'm going over to ask the neighbor to go on his 1st deer hunt. I have no real interest either.

Please don't use smokeless powder in a regular blackpowder rifle. As it would probably blow up.

Last edited:

Lundy

One hole groups are always nice.

If you are shooting the load I think you are , 4" high at 50 you will still be 2-3" high at 100 and maybe 2" low at 200

Good luck

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
One hole groups are always nice.

If you are shooting the load I think you are , 4" high at 50 you will still be 2-3" high at 100 and maybe 2" low at 200

Good luck

Thanks. I sent you a PM with the load data but the forum says your PM storage is full.
I sorta thought I'd be right on at 100 yds. But after I see your imput and remembering I always sighted in 2 in. high at 50 yd. with the 44 mag. to be right on at 100 yd. That sounds about right and will be just perfect for my hunting sites.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I wish I had the time and talent to get my Savage shooting like it could/should. I'm not very consistent with it and I've only shot the recommended loads. In the proper hands, that gun is remarkable.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since this 1st Encore rifle shot so well I dug the other TC Encore that has a factory 45-70 converted barrel to smokeless ML out to sight in tomorrow.
I'll load the same load. I do have a 3X9 Redfield scope on this one. This barrel was converted by a custom smokeless ML shop in Indiana. The previous owner said it shot well and he had taken 5 deer with it.
I feel I got a real deal on the converted barrel at 200.00 delivered. The conversion and breach plug cost 160.00 and the barrel is as new.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I sighted in my 2nd TC Encore 45-70 rifle that's been converted to smokeless ML with a high pressure breach plug.
I took the barrel off the frame and removed the breach plug and bore sighted it in at 50 yds. off the kitchen table using a box with "V" cut in both sides for the barrel to fit snugly.
Bore sighted it shot 1 in. right and I in. low and that was a easy sight in. Moved the Redfield 3x9 scope and shot for effect.
What a pleasure shooting smokeless ML with no smoke cloud and you can see immediately what you shot at. Then there's no cleanup necessary after shooting.
Now have 2 rifles sighted in and nothing to shot. Going to the neighbor to invite him to hunt on his own land out of my new tower. LOL.
I found a local deer processor so I may shot a doe and have it processed as a gift for letting me hunt on their property. They said they would like that.
Wish me luck.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I hunted 12 hrs. both days this weekend. I passed on a 4 deer at 82 yds. On Saturday and seen nothing all day today until 6:20PM Sunday.
I did a write up under Team 11.
Took the doe to the processor to give to the neighbors for letting me hunt on their property. They were thrilled when I showed them the doe.