Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Used Horton Hunter?

Hunter

Hi folks I was hoping for a little advice. I have the opportunity to make a trade for a Horton Hunter crossbow in good condition. First, what should I look for when picking up a used crossbow? I'm not sure if I'll be able to shoot it beforehand. I do know they just went out of business so is this even a good idea? I know I'll be able to get some parts for it if something goes wrong, but are they good crossbows in general? Any advice is appreciated as I've never owned a crossbow before. Thanks!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'm not a cross bow guy but there are some good guys on here that know there way around them. Manly check for cracks in limbs string and cable can always be replaced. But you should be able to tell if it was taken care pretty easily

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm not a cross bow guy but there are some good guys on here that know there way around them. Manly check for cracks in limbs string and cable can always be replaced. But you should be able to tell if it was taken care pretty easily

Pretty much what you need too look at.... Limb cracks are a big thing too look at.... If you're not sure take it too a pro shop and have them give it a on e over... Worth the few bucks they may charge....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Big Ten is right. First off, you check the limbs VERY GOOD for cracks (That means all over) and not even a little crack is acceptable. Then you look at the string and cables all over. No cracks in the cables are acceptable. (should be changed soon) Check the elevation selector and make sure it works all the way around the circle. Then take a close look at the rail where the arrows and string ride. Excessive wear will show that it's not been shot "Just a few times" which is common to hear. Take a good look at the cams as well. Then just look at how clean it is. If it is clean even in the cracks and corners, it was probably taken care of. Quiver and Sling are important. Getting them with the bow is money saved for sure. Always ask about arrows, field points and broadheads. I once walked away with more money in arrows than I paid for the crossbow! I've been watching crossbows again.....The Horton Hunter in good condition is going for right around 150.00. I hope this helps you with the purchase.