Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Son's First Bowhunt For Whitetails

I was excited to start this year's bowhunting by taking my 9 year old son Allen out on his first 'bowhunt' with the crossbow for whitetails. He more than proved himself as being ready back in the spring when he shot his first turkey with the crossbow. After getting all of our stuff smoked up and packed we made the 1 1/2 hr. drive up to the farm we hunt in the 'thumb' of Michigan. Of course since it was lunch time by that time we just had to stop at 'the blue store' along the way, kind of a ritual the kids have enjoyed as it's an old country store with all kinds of sporting goods, snacks and of course hand dipped ice cream!

Soon we were perched up in our buddy treestand nestled in waiting for the deer to show. Our view was over an alfalfa/clover mix hayfield out in front of us and a big corn field to the S of us. Oh and my buddy threw a few carrots and apples out to help entice the deer closer.

He was having fun perched up in his hide with good old dad!

By far this is my favorite picture of the evening!!

We had a spike sneak in on us real early and he approached the carrots with caution. The wind had shifted and was blowing right at him and he got curious. He kept turning and facing us looking up into the tree. Soon, we made a mistake and he caught us moving the crossbow to where he was stepping and he trotted off. Allen was disappointed some but was so excited that it happened so he kept a good watch the rest of the evening.

We ended up seeing quite a few turkeys and even had a tag for one but they wouldn't cooperate either, 3 in another group were all long beards and one in this group was a bearded hen. By the end of the evening we had seen a total of 7 deer including 3 bucks, two of which came in behind us right at dark and just wouldn't give Allen a shot.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's awesome! Better luck next time getting a shot. At least you didn't have a bloody ol deer to fool with, all the fun and none of the mess.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome stuff Chuck! Those were some great pics! Thanks for sharing your very memorable hunt together. Good luck on your next hunt together!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
you can see it on your boys face, that he is ate up with hunting! You seem like a hell of a good dad, and DAMN what an ice cream cone!!!