Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What would you do?

You have this buck at 20 yards broadside this week from a ground blind. What would do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Just a poll to see what everyone would do....with this buck broadside at 20 yards this week.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Still in velvet? Probably shoot. I assume it had shed it's velvet so probably a difficult pass.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
wow I would like to say pass, but honestly thats a nice rack and could be very tempting!! On my place tho Id pass hoping for an older buck, nice buck tho!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
wow I would like to say pass, but honestly thats a nice rack and could be very tempting!! On my place tho Id pass hoping for an older buck, nice buck tho!

Age was my determining thought as well. Very very difficult decision from the stand for sure.

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
Age was my determining thought as well. Very very difficult decision from the stand for sure.

This is the second largest buck I have on cam this year, I have him patterned and should have the shot from a ground blind.
95% chance this buck will be killed this year by someone if I pass.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
This is the second largest buck I have on cam this year, I have him patterned and should have the shot from a ground blind.
95% chance this buck will be killed this year by someone if I pass.

hey man sounds like you want to kill him, and you would be happy with him. I would say he is at least 3.5 years old. I would also say there is nothing to be ashamed of. Darn nice buck!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I look for age. To me I would rather shoot a 135 inch six year old than a 175 inch 3 year old. It's bitten me in the ass though also. Opening day this year I passed on a buck that I thought was a younger deer I had on cam. The rack looked similar and i never got a good broadside look at his body. Turns out it wasn't that deer but an older one a buddy had on cam. I should have shot this deer. My mind got messed up on what deer it was and I thought it was the younger one i had on cam. You can see from JDs Trailcam pic that he's older. Oh well. Tons of season left.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381114317.256619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381114334.145448.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1381114345.532040.jpg

Buckslayer

*Supporting Member*
Jackson County
If your asking yourself, something is telling u to pass. JMO. Lots of season left = lots of time for new deer to show up

Havent seen this deer in person, based on photos, too young, not even pope & young gross. Would love to see him next year, I just know that if anyone else sees him out of the 10-15 people that hunt the area its over. I guess I would have to decide in person.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I voted: hunt somewhere else to avoid temptation. I agree with your assessment of his score due to his small 1's and him being a 9 point. If you did kill him its guaranteed he won't make it next year and your season is over as far as hunting a bigger one if one shows up later. Also, yeah maybe some hunters passed on him last year but he has another year of surviving under his belt and he just might get by. Plus you can look for his sheds this winter...just sayin'

Good luck no matter what you decide.

teej89

NE PA
Depends, if I was on my property I'd let him walk cuz he have GREAT potential, but I also hunt public land from to time and if I saw him on public.... in the famous words of si robertson