Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back TOO the drawing board

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Nothing like starting over.

Pulled the bow out yesterday to do some shooting. Was taking my son and a buddy up to Woodbury Outfitters. My buddy just got a different bow and he needed to get some arrows and a peep sight. So figured while up there waiting my son and I would shoot some to make sure we were still all dialed in. On y way to the truck my sight fell off. Figured the set screw backed out so went grabbed the allen wrenches. Slid the sight on went to tighten it down and realized the set screw was tight. Looked at the mounting rail and noticed it was split.

Needless to say had to buy a new sight. Got it mounted this afternoon. Shot one arrow at 10 yards and it flew over the target. WTH. Decided to go inside and check everything over. After inspecting everything realized that the rest had bumped up and nothing was square now. Get the levels out and reset the rest. Got everything setup and went out and shot another 3 arrows @ 10yds. Made some minor tweaks and stepped to 20yds. Put 6 arrows downrange and liked what I saw. Still have to set 30, 40, 50, 60 yd pins. Crazy thing is that I have been shooting regularly and no clue how this happened now. Oh well guess it gives me something to do this week.

Good news is that my son shot while we were at Woodbury and after a couple little adjustments he was dead on. He is pumped for his first year hunting with a compund.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good deal, glad it happened like it did instead of in the stand.... Good luck too your son as well, looking forward too his hero picture.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good deal, glad it happened like it did instead of in the stand.... Good luck too your son as well, looking forward too his hero picture.....

Agreed 100%. Better now than in the stand. Good luck this season to you and your son!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I agree better to happen at the house then in the stand.

I like this sight a lot better. Went to a 5 pin versus 3 pin. The pins are smaller which I like.
Hope to get the other pins dialed in this evening and will be back ready. Finally gonna get out this weeknd so need to make sure everything is dialed in.
Connor (my son) will be going with me as well. He has come close TOO sealing the deal a couple times hopefully this year is the year.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Got a question for everyone that has a 5 pin sight. What do you have your yardages set at.
I was dialing mine in last night and got to thinking I might want to do it differently.

Currently have a 20,30,40,50 yd pins. The last pin I did not set yet as I got to second guessing myself.
I am thinking 20,30,35,40,45 would work better for me. On the farm I hunt I really can't see me taking a shot past 40 yds.

Thoughts?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Here was my 30yd group. Had 1 flyer and made another slight adjustment to pull the group up a little more.
30 yds.jpg

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
That depends on the bow.. If it is a fast bow your pins will be stacked on top of each other and you wouldn't be able to see "through" the pin.. If it's a slower bow then you should be fine.. It's all personal preference.. I have a 2010 Elite Z28 set at 62lbs and I have to set mine at 10yd differences because with the pins being too close together it was starting to give me target panic cause I couldn't see through the stack to see what I was shooting at clearly.. Good luck..

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Thanks Woody. My bow is a slow one so I have room for the 5 yd increments past 30 yds. I think that is what I will do.
Strange thing is that with my old sight the pins were pretty close together. Almost stacked and were set for 20, 30, and 40.
With this new sight they have a lot more space between them. It is almost like my bow has slowed down even more.
Everything else is the same just the sight is different. Could the difference in the weight of the sight slow it down that much?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Same arrows. Same field points. Everything on the bow is the same except the sight.
These pins are smaller so I expected them to be a littler further apart due to their size.
Just seems they wouldn't be nearly this far apart.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
That was gonna be my next question.. I have all .19 on mine but the next one I get will be 3 .19's and 2 .10's pins.. I have a single .10 pin on my scope for my 3D bow and for the farther targets its great! But I practice out to 80yds (thats as far as I can shoot at my house) with my 3D bow..

themedic

OHIO
Your pin gap would be next to nothing and when that happens it sucks. Keep it simple....20, 30,40 and done. keeps your pins gapped and open for easy game viewing

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
Sight.jpg

Here is a picture of the sight. It shows where my pins are for 20, 30, 40, and the bottom 2 sights are just out of the way. They happen to be close to being good at 50yds a little low but close.

themedic

OHIO
View attachment 16637

Here is a picture of the sight. It shows where my pins are for 20, 30, 40, and the bottom 2 sights are just out of the way. They happen to be close to being good at 50yds a little low but close.

That surprises me. Whats your setup? Bow, draw weight, arrow specs?

My pins, if put on the same track, will touch and actually be like 20, 33, 46 and they are still pretty damn close.