Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shoulder Hits

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I watch a lot of outdoor television, and I just cant seem to figure out how they can hit deer in the shoulder, over and over again, and always seem to be confident they "smoked him".

Is it the broadheads, poundage, luck?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I watch a lot of outdoor television, and I just cant seem to figure out how they can hit deer in the shoulder, over and over again, and always seem to be confident they "smoked him".

Is it the broadheads, poundage, luck?

All they are hitting generally is the paddle bone. Most BH'S/set ups will punch right through it. Also if they have a bad shot they have 30 guys ready to beat the bush to find it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You wont see the bad shots because they can edit them out..have you ever see a deer hit in the "void" and not get found on tv?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
You wont see the bad shots because they can edit them out..have you ever see a deer hit in the "void" and not get found on tv?

Havent seen it on tv, but i have seen it on some videos. Whitetail adrenaline puts there hunts on video. good ones, bad ones, recoveries and lost deer.

at1010

*Supporting Member*

well thats what I was kind of wondering about. I was watching a show earlier, adn this guy smoked the deers shoulder, I could see almost the entire arrow hanging out. He was like "smoked him, hes down right there, 30 yards"

Ive double lunged deer and hang them go farther than 30 yards. I know sometimes they dont, but I just find it amazing how many shoulder hits I see. I know the bows should blow through the thin part of the shoulder tho.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You also have to consider they are more then likely shooting mechanicals and they do not have the penetration on hits like that that a fixed cut on contact BH would have. A lot of drag from mech heads and hit anything dense and that sucker will stop on a dime.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Like "cant get a pass through with a rage to save their ass" drury brothers?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Like "cant get a pass through with a rage to save their ass" drury brothers?

Yeah, that. lmao

It kills me to watch Bonnie from LOF and Tiff hit deer and it looks like they only get like 3" of arrow into the deer but they go down 30 yards away. I don't know how they kill a deer with only hitting 1 lung like that lol.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Drurys are a good example. I see them get a lot of pass throughs on does, but I noticed that with bucks it seems they do not get the same penetration. Must just be the shot placement on the deer.

So do you think they just edit it to make the deer look like it died quickly? Even times with half the arrow sticking out they show the deer laying down within site.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There were more "pass through" shots on the early videos of the late 80's and early 90's with bows shooting 220fps. Key differences; heavy aluminum shafting, and fixed heads. Todays equipment is much flatter shooting, and easier to shoot, but it just doesn't seem to blow arrows through deer like the old rattle traps did.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Drurys are a good example. I see them get a lot of pass throughs on does, but I noticed that with bucks it seems they do not get the same penetration. Must just be the shot placement on the deer.

So do you think they just edit it to make the deer look like it died quickly? Even times with half the arrow sticking out they show the deer laying down within site.

I think you have answered your own question.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There were more "pass through" shots on the early videos of the late 80's and early 90's with bows shooting 220fps. Key differences; heavy aluminum shafting, and fixed heads. Todays equipment is much flatter shooting, and easier to shoot, but it just doesn't seem to blow arrows through deer like the old rattle traps did.

Which is why a simple test Milo showed me at his place makes my choice simple. My choice? Quiet bow, fixed broadhead, heavy setup. Pulling field points out of a target with different grained arrows is a simple and telling test.

I believe Al found his answer for sure. Editing is like a miracle cure for less than perfect shots. Not knocking these guys. A shot a couple inches off the mark can make a huge difference and it happens to new guys or experienced veterans alike.

themedic

OHIO
Havent seen it on tv, but i have seen it on some videos. Whitetail adrenaline puts there hunts on video. good ones, bad ones, recoveries and lost deer.

Ive seen those Adrenaline Junkies guys at trade shows.........those videos look sweeeeeeeet!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Lot of good thoughts on here especially what Brock said. After seeing how my Strother blows arrows through things, it really puts thing in perspective when it comes to heavy arrows and fixed blade broadheads. However people like the Drury Brothers have made fast bows with Rage broadheads all the "rage" and that's what the sheeple want to shoot now. And through the wonders of editing, you think every deer that ever walked within 40 yards of a Rage broadhead died from it. Its not just the Drurys and Rages that are in the circle either. It will forever be rare to see a "celebrity" screw up on camera in the hunting woods...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I think they are trying to fix the rages somewhat. They added that feral tip to them instead of that flimsy razor tip thing they had before. I bet its enough to shatter a shoulder bone with enough KE

Milo

Tatonka guide.
oh yes it will...thats a darn fine bow with plenty of power...what is your setup?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mechanicals are to blame imo, carbon shafts too as they are light. Carbons penetrate foam better than aluminum, but I think that is due to the smaller diameter. Not the same on flesh when there is a big broadhead leading the way.
I used to be a freak about penetration. My last "penetration" bow was a Martin Fury, shot at around 76 lbs, shooting 2419 with the original Phantom 4 blade. The arrow weighed close to 700 grains, and was chronographed at 265fps. It sounded like a boat paddle hitting a bucket when I'd hit a deer with it. When I set it up, the guys at the bow shop asked just how far in the dirt I wanted my arrow to stick after going through a deer! In the field, it was impressive.
Since those days, I've switched to mechanicals, lighter poundage, and carbon shafts. I came to the realization we are shooting deer with skin about as thick as a Tshirt. They aren't hard to kill if you shoot them in the ribs. Even with today's set-ups not blowing through deer as the old ones did, I think for the greater good of the sport and increased participation, mechs and carbons have made it easier for the masses to KILL deer. Once upon a time, it took a little work to get those shovels to fly straight. With mechs, any nimrod can hunt and shoot as accurately as they do with field points.