Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hit a doe

rooster85

Lake County
Hey guys, its raining pretty good here but i decided to head out anyways. Got to my spot where a buck busted last night and as soon as i sit down a doe walks out. Perfect broadside 20 yard shot, hear it hit then i gave her some time. She ran down a draw thick with trees and brush of course. I found my shaft minus about 9 inches but no blood. I decide to give her more time then i headed down hoping to find her piled up. No luck. Ive been looking for over two hours and haven't found her, the rest of my arrow or copious amounts of blood. Im shooting 100 gr. G5s but I'm thinking i hit to far to the right and hit shoulder?

Any input guys? I looked all the way down the draw and zig zagged it as well.

teej89

NE PA
Post a pic of the shaft, you sure 9" are missing? Cuz 9" of penetration is gonna do enough damage and there won't be much blood at all with the arrow still left in her and no exit wound. The doe I killed last night would bleed like crazy at times then at two instances I only found a drop of blood the size of a pencil eraser for about 10 feet and that was with a complete pass thru.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Probably shoulder if the arrow is broken. post a pic of the recovered partial arrow if you can, especially if there is hair or blood on it. The color of the blood and hair can give some clues as to where she was hit. she will probably head for water.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Im gonna put on some "dry" clothes and make one more attempt.

take a roll of toilet paper with you. If you find some blood, mark it with the paper. Keep looking for and marking any blood you find. once you have a few spots marked, look back the direction you came from, the white paper is easy to see and you can get a really good idea of which direction she went. odds are it will be a somewhat straight line.

rooster85

Lake County
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381070268.868842.jpg

Here is the one that i recovered next to one that is not broken. Its raining pretty good so no blood on the shaft. The nock also came off and was found a few feet from the shaft.

rooster85

Lake County
I found a piece of meat about the size of my pinky nail where she was. When she reacted to the impact she turned and stumbled then ran down the ravine but she looked like she was wanting to topple over.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
so the broadhead is still in the deer. That helps. that much penetration on a high shoulder hit equals dead deer. shes there somewhere. the rain isnt going to help with a blood trail. i've lost 2 because of rain washing the blood trail away.

i am also wondering if you got a partial pass through. The braodhead end came out the other side, the arrow broke and and the 2 ends exited in opposite directions.

Where are you located? I'm not doing much today, if you are close, I would be happy to help look.

teej89

NE PA
Yeah she's dead man, with that much penetration and your hit being in the cavity up near the shoulder she has to be down. Wish you were closer or else Id come up there and help ya out. Take your time and like others said if there's water around she'll probably head for that.

rooster85

Lake County
so the broadhead is still in the deer. That helps. that much penetration on a high shoulder hit equals dead deer. shes there somewhere. the rain isnt going to help with a blood trail. i've lost 2 because of rain washing the blood trail away.

i am also wondering if you got a partial pass through. The braodhead end came out the other side, the arrow broke and and the 2 ends exited in opposite directions.

Where are you located? I'm not doing much today, if you are close, I would be happy to help look.

Im in Indiana, an hour west on Cinci. Thanks for the help guys. It was a loud crack. Ive got a bright flash light im bringing back in there to help. This rain SUCKS!

rooster85

Lake County
Yeah she's dead man, with that much penetration and your hit being in the cavity up near the shoulder she has to be down. Wish you were closer or else Id come up there and help ya out. Take your time and like others said if there's water around she'll probably head for that.

Theres a small crick at the bottom of the draw i walked earlier. Im gonna head west up it since theres a corn field to the east with a good fence that didnt look like she went that way.

teej89

NE PA
Shit If I woulda been hunting this morning I coulda swung over there, that's an hourish from my place probably. Good luck! Keep us posted.