Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anyone seen one of these before?

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Checked one of my camera's yesterday and had a picture of this animal.At first i thought beaver until i noticed the tail is too thin.I know they say we have Nutria in Ohio and believe that is what this is.Looks to be pretty big and has some big back feet.First time i have seen one in Ohio. phpJXNT4mPM.jpgphpRCA8AHPM.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Without seeing a good view of it and looking at pictures on the net I tend too agree its a nutria.... Pretty cool catch though and for all the river and lake fishing I've done over the years I've yet too see one.....

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm thinking maybe a River Otter. Is the camera near a creek, river or marsh?

X2

Without scale I was thinking this or a muskrat. Might even be both. The first pic has a tail to thick to be a muskrat and looks more like an otter but the second pic is for sure a muskrat. Given they are a few hours apart they very well could be different critters.

I say one of each and that is my final answer.

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
Tail doesn't appear to have hair....river otters have hair on their tail. But proportions look off to be a muskrat. Never seen a nutria so I can't say for sure. Where are u location wise ?

Kaiser878

ohio
Upon further inspection. I say its a beaver and the tail is at a weird angle and u can't see how wide it is. Proportions match a beaver.....

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
X2

Without scale I was thinking this or a muskrat. Might even be both. The first pic has a tail to thick to be a muskrat and looks more like an otter but the second pic is for sure a muskrat. Given they are a few hours apart they very well could be different critters.

I say one of each and that is my final answer.
Have had alot of pics here of Raccoons and this look's as big or bigger than a coon.Have also caught alot of muskrats and know it is'nt that or otter.Way too fat for otterLlook up Nutria online and let me know what you think then.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I have nothing to suggest, never even heard of a Nutria! Rotflmao

For me it hard to tell what it is by these two pics to be 100% positive what it is.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I looked it up because I never had heard of them and they resemble the picture posted pretty close....