Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is scent control really that important?

lowegirl

Now before I get any "are you freaking kidding me?" reply's, here's what happened. Last Sunday I helped my husband hang a ladderstand. It's huge and awkward and there was no way to hang this thing, and clear a shooting lane without making all kinds of racket, not to mention dropping scent everywhere. I wasn't wearing any gear, just regular clothes, wasn't sprayed, and honestly didn't even try to be quiet. My thoughts were...... We're just into season, it's effing hot, and I'm more than likely not going to hunt this area till Nov. so let's just get this done.

We pulled pics a few days later, and sure enough....deer! Not only deer, but deer that same day!! Just a few hours later in fact.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Deer are naturally curious animals. They probably showed up when the coast was clear just to see what the commotion was. They are used to the sounds and smells of people but they know better than to come close. Yes scent control on stand is very important, but I am not afraid of making a lot of noise any other time

teej89

NE PA
I hear ya loud and clear, for instance

This was after hanging two stands and it was hot as the dickens out. But that was almost an hour apart and my guess is they can estimate the age fo the scent. Whether it be an hour old or oh shit it's present present now lol I dunno i could just be spitballing but either way I go 100% scent free plus the help of the good ole scent smoker. Much rather be safe than sorry!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well of course they're gonna come in right after you were there messin around. It always works that way...lol. It's a totally different story when you're out hunting as you well know. I bet you're not getting any bucks right after you left, just the same.

teej89

NE PA
Well of course they're gonna come in right after you were there messin around. It always works that way...lol. It's a totally different story when you're out hunting as you well know. I bet you're not getting any bucks right after you left, just the same.

You'd think but these fellers are just as ballsy

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Deer can tell the age of a scent. Just like dogs. Ever wonder how a dog knows which way to run a track. They always run the way the animal was going. Well. Not always. But 95% of the time anyway. They can also hear very well. They can hear you messing around, walk off, get in the truck, and drive away. This can work very well in your favor if you're baiting. Often you can dump bait and walk away and the deer will be right there shortly. Now if you dump bait and hunt they often will not show up. A good tactic if you're baiting is to have someone walk you to your stand. You climb up and they leave. Another tactic I have seen work is someone drive you to your stand in a quad, don't stop but hop off as they pass your spot. Let the driver keep going.

Gordo

Athens County
Deer can tell the age of a scent. Just like dogs. Ever wonder how a dog knows which way to run a track. They always run the way the animal was going. Well. Not always. But 95% of the time anyway. They can also hear very well. They can hear you messing around, walk off, get in the truck, and drive away. This can work very well in your favor if you're baiting. Often you can dump bait and walk away and the deer will be right there shortly. Now if you dump bait and hunt they often will not show up. A good tactic if you're baiting is to have someone walk you to your stand. You climb up and they leave. Another tactic I have seen work is someone drive you to your stand in a quad, don't stop but hop off as they pass your spot. Let the driver keep going.

Exactly what almost got my dad his buck on friday. He can hardly walk with the knee replacement coming up. As ive been doing for 3 months, i drove truck up to corn/cam, put out some more corn, and as usual, drove away. Except this time the old man was left on stand. Sure enough mr. Right showed up, unfortunately manny doe and her youngins where directly underneith him and busted him before the deer offered a good angle.

Another key in that tactic is having someone pick ya up.

Last night, same approach. Target buck staged 100 yards away until dark.

The first chance is usually the only, then its toast.

Last edited:

lowegirl

Damn deer got me all obsessed and shit lol

lowegirl

I hear ya loud and clear, for instance

This was after hanging two stands and it was hot as the dickens out. But that was almost an hour apart and my guess is they can estimate the age fo the scent. Whether it be an hour old or oh shit it's present present now lol I dunno i could just be spitballing but either way I go 100% scent free plus the help of the good ole scent smoker. Much rather be safe than sorry!

I'm with ya, rather be safe than sorry!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Deer are naturally curious animals. They probably showed up when the coast was clear just to see what the commotion was. They are used to the sounds and smells of people but they know better than to come close. Yes scent control on stand is very important, but I am not afraid of making a lot of noise any other time

Yep...

Some dandies for sure!! I'd say they were in the area to investigate things and see what all the commotion was about. You have to think those deer were soaking it all in and taking notes....well if they are smart they would!! LOL :smiley_coolpeace: