Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scintillating scotoma

loose_is_fast

McClure
Anyone else have to deal with these other than me. i had one on my way back to the truck tonight after hunting and now I have one serious migraine.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Yes. Not too often but I do get the boomer afterwards. Others have developed them at work and so has my son. My wife gets migraines too.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Visual auras that are followed by a migraine. It's a cue that a possible boomer of a headache is on it's way.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I was plagued by them and migraines as a kid. At some points, two debilitating migraines a week. As I get older the less I get them. I may get four a year now. I have meds I can use for them but the only thing they do is make me high. I'd just rather puke and sleep two hours. That makes it go away.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My mom gets them and has migraines all the time. I suffered from migraines for a few year following my concussion. I've since "grown" out of them and may only have one a year. However I do get headaches very frequently due to a bad neck. All that to say I've never experienced anything visual before a migraine. My migraines come with a severe sensitivity to light and movement. When I do get one now, I'm done for. Thankfully I can sleep them off. My poor mom can't do that.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I get them a lot. I have also had one where I had double vision and couldn't focus on anything. The only thing that kept me from hitting the floor was the fact I was sitting on the couch lol. If I would have stood up I would have hit the floor. Double vision is bad enough but add in the drunk spin and it sucked even more. Scared the hell out of me when that happened.

My aura migraines usually start with my peripheral and end with a dot right in the middle so I have to keep moving my eyes or head to get a full picture of what I am looking at. Sucks when you are driving down the road and get slammed with one.

I often get headaches sometimes during but usually after a long day of hunting, I know it's not the same as a bad migraine but I've had those as well and the one can sure turn into the other if I let it go. I often attribute it to not drinking enough water and that usually does solve the problem, that or my sugar is F'd up. Drinking all the extra water does makes me have to piss more often though!! LOL I always take Motrin with me in my pack and even if I am not really feeling one coming on I usually take it anyways towards the end of the day, just before prime time.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Never had one while hunting knock on wood. I usually know it is coming as I get fuzzy peripheral vision at the start of mine. If I can pop a couple ibuprophine it usually stops the vision issue before it gets too bad. If I don't have the meds to pop then it takes about 20-30 minutes to blur my vision so bad I can't hardly see. Then it only lasts about the same 20-30 minutes and finish with a good headache. Sucks lol.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Mine starts in the peripheral and looks like cascading water and then slowly comes into the middle of my vision and blocks it out. They are very infrequent now.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Peripheral here also although mine looks like a REALLY fuzzy tv channel on the outside edges of my vision until I can't see at all. My FOV once it is at its worst is about 3' circle at 20 yards, if that.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I hope I never have those migraines, I hope you guys can find some sort of cure for them. I wonder if marijuana works:smiley_chinrub:

loose_is_fast

McClure
mine usually come from they top left corner of my field of vision and works in like cascading water or sparky looking zig zag to the center, then back out leaving a blind spot in the center of my vision. This usually lasts about a half hour then comes a sight,sound,movement, migaine from hell. I have to rely on immetrex (sp) to knock it out

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
mine usually come from they top left corner of my field of vision and works in like cascading water or sparky looking zig zag to the center, then back out leaving a blind spot in the center of my vision. This usually lasts about a half hour then comes a sight,sound,movement, migaine from hell. I have to rely on immetrex (sp) to knock it out

Yep, yep and yep. I hate immetrex. It's worse than the migraine! I did the self inflicted shot a few times and man was that a weird feeling.