Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

doe ?

matty636

mville
I picked up a nice property to hunt due to the owner wants to thin some out doing a number on his fields so I made it out this morning seen 10 doe/fawn but befroe weeding them out would it be better to keep that many around for rut do to this area produces some nice bucks

at1010

*Supporting Member*
honestly if you are seeing that many, I highly doubt you shooting one or not shooting one will make a difference in your rut hunting experience.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
also some believe that with less does around means more competition for bucks. In turn cause bucks to be more aggressive, travel more ground etc.

matty636

mville
I was gona wack a couple for him just hate to shoot to shoot though prolly donate them cause I don't need that much meat and they are big corn Fed

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I was gona wack a couple for him just hate to shoot to shoot though prolly donate them cause I don't need that much meat and they are big corn Fed

If you gained access to the property due to the fact that the landowner wanted the deer population there reduced, you better get to shooting does, otherwise, you might as well kiss the new property goodbye!

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Shoot a couple of the does and donate them to the local food pantry. Not only will you be helping the landowner out but helping some of the locals that might be on hard times. That right there makes two wins in situation with that I bet you end up with a win of some sort out of the situation.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Shoot a couple of the does and donate them to the local food pantry. Not only will you be helping the landowner out but helping some of the locals that might be on hard times. That right there makes two wins in situation with that I bet you end up with a win of some sort out of the situation.

Exactly..... Well put Steve...

Sounds like you have permission for a reason so don't lose sight of that especially your first year. Sounds like you will have plenty hanging around if you do shoot a few. The farmer that lets us hunt up here in Michigan has expectations and has replaced hunters that didn't or wouldn't shoot does when they had opportunities.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a doe if there are that many there and the landowner wants them shot. They are probably destrying the crops because there are too many of them to begin with. A lot of deer need a lot of food.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If you gained access to the property due to the fact that the landowner wanted the deer population there reduced, you better get to shooting does, otherwise, you might as well kiss the new property goodbye!

X2

If you don't kill any deer or just a buck the farmer is going to know you didn't want to shoot the doe knowing how many deer he has seen on the property. You only have a small window of time on the property but he is there day in and day out and knows what kind of deer numbers are there and for you to only take a single deer and a buck at that will not go over well and you probably will not get a slip signed next year.