Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Alloy or Lead shot for coyotes?

I've recently patterned some Dead Coyote "T" shot with a Carlson .680" that produces a very good pattern at 50 yards. However, I have not had the same success with lead buck shot sizes of 00, 000, 4 buck (in 2 3/4" & 3", 12 gauge) at the same distance.

It would've been nice if I could've had both types of shot to pattern well at the same distance. It may be possible with another choke constriction, but I feel that the alloy shot will penetrate better at the same distances, over or better than lead.

Which type of metal shot do you prefer, alloy or lead, for coyotes?
Your thoughts on both metal types of shot, are welcome.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 said:
Which type of metal shot do you prefer, alloy or lead, for coyotes?

It doesn't matter what anyone else is using or how well it patterns, as it's too expensive to shoot. :smiley_armscrossed: At $50 per box of 10 rounds, I'll shoot buckshot.

I used an older Patternmaster choke tube, that I purchased back in the mid 90s and tested some 3" Federal Premium #4 bk., 00 bk. and 000 buckshot. I was very impressed with the patterns, all of which were at 44 yards. When this choke tube was in production, there were instructions that came with it, that stated for the best patterns Federal Premium buckshot had to be use.

Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 bk., 3" S&B in 00 bk. and 2 3/4" Federal Premium in 00 bk. produced horrible (inconsistent/scattered) patterns at the same distance.

Federal Premium 3" #000 bk. The #00 bk. patterned just as good as the #000, but I didn't get a picture of it. There were twice as many holes in the paper.

The holes that have flat lines are Federal Premium 3" #4 bk. The circles are the Hornady Varmint Express 2 3/4" #4 bk.

The coyotes are in so much trouble! :smiley_cowboy:
Bowhunter57