Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Building "The Blind"

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Much more to come. Blind build commences at 7AM Saturday morning...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380830001.932184.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looks pretty good man. Blind building is a lot of fun, and generally more expensive than originally planned. lol

What is your foundation? Will it just sit flat on the ground, or on stilts?

Maybe I'm seeing things but it looks like the door is off to one side... correct? I like to put the door in the center of the blind, that way the guy on the end isn't always stumbling over his buddies to go out and take a piss.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The land side posts will be set in concrete. The two that will need to sit in the water will sit on the precast foundation blocks they sell for decks. I have 6 3'4"x4' pallets. We'll run decking boards down the side and make two platforms that will sit on top of one another. This will give us some room for the water to rise. The second set of pallets will be covered in OSB. Pallets were free and OSB is cheap. I have a bunch of the lumber already and have a buddy splitting cost with me, so it's not TOO bad.

I balanced cost and quality knowing the landowner is 82. There is also a reason no one is hunting here and it could be bad news. If everything pans out, this spot should produce a good hunt every time.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
The land side posts will be set in concrete. The two that will need to sit in the water will sit on the precast foundation blocks they sell for decks. I have 6 3'4"x4' pallets. We'll run decking boards down the side and make two platforms that will sit on top of one another. This will give us some room for the water to rise. The second set of pallets will be covered in OSB. Pallets were free and OSB is cheap. I have a bunch of the lumber already and have a buddy splitting cost with me, so it's not TOO bad.

I balanced cost and quality knowing the landowner is 82. There is also a reason no one is hunting here and it could be bad news. If everything pans out, this spot should produce a good hunt every time.

Use real plywood and seal it with something so it will hold up. Osb is porous and will swell bad when wet.

JPN

coshocton
Looks good man. I've got all the materials to build a blind or two I just gotta find the time to get them done. Look forward to seeing pics when it's done.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Damn son you mean business! lol That should work pretty well. Good use of the pallets too, BTW. Milo is spot on about the plywood being better than the OSB, but I would still use the OSB if I were in your shoes. Plywood is not cheap and you don't know how this spot will pan out, so IMO it's not yet worthy of a huge investment. Hell, we just built a 16' blind on a known good spot and we still used OSB. Slap on a couple coats of paint and it'll be plenty good enough.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's my thought JB. Even if we replace it all in 3-4 years, we save some coin up front and I'll be happy to replace it if I'm still here in that time frame.

I've seen birds here every time I've been there. Having a skill set that let's me find good places, then find the people and "seal the deal" really paid off with this place. It's right under a lot of hunters noses, but they'd never think to look here there for birds...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's my thought JB. Even if we replace it all in 3-4 years, we save some coin up front and I'll be happy to replace it if I'm still here in that time frame.

I've seen birds here every time I've been there. Having a skill set that let's me find good places, then find the people and "seal the deal" really paid off with this place. It's right under a lot of hunters noses, but they'd never think to look here there for birds...

Don't.... tell.... anybody. ANYBODY. It's amazing how quickly those "secret spots" become not-so-secret amongst waterfowlers. lol

at1010

*Supporting Member*

I am pumped for you Jesse! make sure to post some pics holding up some birds!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Loaded up and ready to go. Pulling out at 6AM. Meeting my buddy at our spot to unload, then go get out sheeting and meet my cousin. Headed back to meet another buddy and then the 4 of us are going to bum rush this thing. Super stoked to see how it turns out!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380926975.067891.jpg

IMO OSB will work for a few years for the side walls

But be junk quick for a floor
I used 5/8 pressure treated plywood for my blinds floor and roof a few weeks ago

John

Strizzi

Good luck, I tried goose hunting for the first time this year and I'm hooked! I hope to dabble in duck if I can find a spot!