Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show us your.....stuff you've fixed

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
We live in a throw-away society, and alot of people will simply replace something when it breaks instead of trying to repair it.
I thought it would be fun to have a thread where guys could show off things they'd fixed and share money-saving ideas with the rest of us.

I'll kick it off with the easy fix I did on my Thermacell -

I broke one of the tabs that holds the cover on over the butane cylinder. Can't be glued. And although you could use the thing without that cover, it just wouldn't be right. So velcro to the rescue - I just cut a couple of adhesive-backed hook pieces and stuck 'em to the side of the unit, then cut an appropriate length strip of loop material to stretch around the end. Holds it on nice and tight, and comes off easy when you gotta replace the cylinder. Piece o' cake.

20130924_210239_zpsbc57ab86.jpg

20130924_210351_zpsbf37a96a.jpg

Buckmaster

Portage
I'd have to pull my pants down to show you but instead I'll use Phil for example.

Attachments

• Philbert_zps6fa94038.jpg
    Philbert_zps6fa94038.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You bastard. I cannot believe you are still jealous. It was YOUR wife who requested the pic of me in my undies. Can't believe you painted my sack black with photoshop. Guess it was better than blue balls. lol

(I still think it was Buckmaster who wanted the pic but put his wife up to the task of requesting it.)

Buckmaster

Portage
I'm not a fixer. I'm a breaker... :smiley_blackeye:

Me TOO. I'm always breaking things.

Now, I have a new personal policy....buy the biggest, badest, and heaviest duty product on the market. If it has a warranty, even better....because I will break it.

My neighbor once asked, "Hey you can borrow my Kubota."
I simply replied, "No thank you. I like to break things."
So I went out and bought my own Kubota.
I try to avoid borrowing things TOO.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's amazing what you can fix with duct tape...... Just sayin......

Attachments

• C-130.jpg
    C-130.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 143

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
It's amazing what you can fix with duct tape...... Just sayin......

I have a zillion duct tape projects in my house. Once I held up my kitchen plumbing with it (for 2 years), currently have a busted drawer fixed with it, and my latest project was over the weekend when one of my momma's wasn't allowed to nurse from only one teat.

Yep, duct tape took care of that TOO~! Although she was not too happy when I took it back off. :smiley_arrogant:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Me TOO. I'm always breaking things.

Now, I have a new personal policy....buy the biggest, badest, and heaviest duty product on the market. If it has a warranty, even better....because I will break it.

My neighbor once asked, "Hey you can borrow my Kubota."
I simply replied, "No thank you. I like to break things."
So I went out and bought my own Kubota.
I try to avoid borrowing things TOO.

Same here on the borrowing stuff. I don't break many things but they always seem to be borrowed. I always buy a new one for the person I borrowed it from. Which means I bought a broke one. Might as well buy me a new one and forgo the borrowing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Think I would need to start my own forum to contribute. Not trying to brag or boast. Just saying when you run multiple pieces of equipment and have employees you HAVE to be able to fix stuff. One of the fixes I was most impressed with was one of our parking lot sweeper trucks.

From the factory the fan which creates the vacuum was a direct drive off the crankshaft of the motor. After 2 replacement engines under warranty our warranty period ran out. The third one I re-engineered. It was a flawed design. Essentially, I did a bunch of metal fabrication to ensure the new shaft was level and to mount the bearings to. I mounted the engine off to the side with a pulley on the crankshaft. The pulley was driving a belt mounted on a pulley driving the new jack shaft. We did get over 4000 hours on one engine using this method before we were forced to replace it. I didn't feel too bad getting 4000hrs out of an air cooled 18hp engine working in a dusty environment with little air flow to assist in the cooling. Respectable life in my opinion.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
All you need is WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it's supposed to move and doesn't use the WD-40. If it moves and is not supposed to, use the Duct Tape. BUT! Gorilla Tape FAR out-performs Duct Tape. Just Sayin' :smiley_coolpeace:

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Let me start by saying I paid $800 for a 2000 Rockwood ultra lite 25ft camper. It needed a new floor and wall from previous tree damage to the roof. Well having worked at a camper repair shop for over a year when I was younger, I thought what the hell I can do this. So I bought it and got busy.. I had the floor out and new in and all new tile throught and the wall ripped out and replaced in under 2 weeks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131233.974062.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131284.369467.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131307.018582.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131340.285723.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131369.470884.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131895.311158.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381131911.924211.jpg

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
That was the bathroom and into the hall and under the triple bunks.. Here is what it looked like after it was done and everything back in place..

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381132128.636717.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381132160.904957.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381132193.680265.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381132261.240042.jpg

After I got it done we used it quite a bit.. Unfortunately my landlord decided to tell me that they are putting the house up for sale this spring so I had to sell it to pay some bills off of my credit and I am now in the process of looking for a house to buy..

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Fuggin Thermacell - clicker quit working and it won't fire up now.
It started up Saturday morning but wouldn't fire up Sat afternoon for anything :tantrum:

SHOULDA THROWN IT AWAY AND GOT A NEW ONE

ugh:smiley_boos: