Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stevens .25-06 improvements...

A while back I posted a question about changing the barrel on my Stevens 200 in .25-06. As it turns out, it was suggested to me to change the bullet seating depth and switch to a slower burning powder. I switched from IMR-4064 to IMR-4895 and changed the bullets seating depth from 3.250" to 3.170". I changed from a 85gr. Nosler BT to a 75gr. Hornady V-Max. Also, I installed better glass...a Weaver 4x16 and had Fred Moreo install one of his custom triggers.

These changes have been well worth the effort. This rifle was shooting 1 5/8" groups at 100 yards. Now, it's shooting 1 1/4" groups at 200 yards. I'm very happy with the few changes that I've made to get such an improvement in accuracy. Now, all I got to do is get a few coyotes in front of me, for the "real" ballistics test. :smiley_blink:

The first shot was left of center...adjusted 6 clicks right. The second shot was too far right, so I adjusted 3 clicks left. I settled down and squeezed off 3 shots in the center that made the 1 1/4" group.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you have found your perfect combination. Looking forward to seeing you connect with some coyotes now!