Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My muzzy cleaning tips

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
When I first got my muzzleloader, it was impressed upon me (by Ohiosam among others) that PROMPT cleaning was important to the life of the rifle, and that keeping the barrel swabbed at the range was a good idea to help with accuracy and consistency. So I'm now in the habit of cleaning my muzzy the same night I shoot it, and swabbing every few shots at the range.

So for portability of patches at the range, I took a couple of dip cans and cleaned 'em thoroughly. Painted the lids two different colors and labeled one Dry and the other Wet. A good size stack will fit in each can, and I simply saturate the wet ones with cleaning solution and squeeze off the excess. So I've got pre-moistened wet patches that easily peel off the stack one at a time (so do the dry ones). The two cans fit easily in my "possibles" pouch when I'm in the field as well. The lids keep a tight seal, and you don't have to worry about the wet ones leaking. And they don't dry out either - I mean you can leave 'em in there for months with no problem. And if the inside of the lid rusts a little, no big deal, just wipe it off.

I just switched over to Blackhorn 209 powder, and talking to CJ he pointed out to me that instead of using the same water-based cleaner like you do on Pyrodex and other powders, Blackhorn should be cleaned with a solvent like Hoppe's #9. So now I gotta make another "Wet" can for Hoppes. It should work the same way.

When I clean my muzzy at the end of a session, I break it down completely, removing and soaking the breech plug before scrubbing it clean. (Excessive? maybe, but my breech plug is almost as clean as the day I bought the gun.) When I'm cleaning it in the garage, I can just use the air gun on my compressor to blow it completely dry inside and out. But when I'm not in the garage? I just use a can of compressed air like you use to clean a computer keyboard. No moisture means no chance for rust inside the breech plug.

Just a couple of ideas, take 'em or leave 'em, but they work for me.

If you don't dip (don't start), I'll bet you've got a buddy who does who'd save a couple of empty cans for ya....

20130922_222516_zpsc8db9bea.jpg