Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Food plots in farm country

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
So what are the benefits of setting up a food plot in farm country or on a working farm? The deer have all the food they could want up until the crops get harvested so is the benefit to keep more on the property itself?

What plants would be the best nutritionally for after crops are harvested here in Ohio? How long would they last and how much work would the require?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am not a big food plot person for our area. I have done three all with bad results. Great plant growth but no real takers. I think you would be better off to leave some corn/beans standing if that is an option. That or supplemental feeding.

It is fun to toy farm though.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Only thing I think that would be worth planting would be brassicas.

When all the corn/beans are gone your deer will hammer them. Unless like beentown said you can get some corn/beans be kept up.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Only thing I think that would be worth planting would be brassicas.

When all the corn/beans are gone your deer will hammer them. Unless like beentown said you can get some corn/beans be kept up.

Never had the brassicas touched. Twice I planted it and it grew great. Didn't get touched.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
i think it depends on wether there are crops out there. If it is farm country and they didnt put any crops in I would say go for it, If there are crops out there, I wouldn't waste my time.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Never had the brassicas touched. Twice I planted it and it grew great. Didn't get touched.

really man? What part of state are you in again, I forgot?

I planted mine in Noble county last year, and they got TORN UP! I mean bulbs ripped up out of the soil, found tons half eaten, tons of pics/tracks, etc.

I dont get why in some areas they get hammered, and other areas they dont at all. It seems like it can be a difference of a mile or soo too.

Brassicas never worked well on our farm in Ohio in the past. We planted clover in our plots this year and I think that was our best bet. I don't agree that you'd be wasting your time if you can make a plot that is a little hideaway where the deer can feel comfortable. The key is to pick something that will grow and something that isn't already nearby. In our case with the clover, there isn't much around. We have 50+ acres of beans on one end of the farm and about the same in corn on the other end. They still look for variety. Now I said at the beginning that brassicas never worked in the past, well on one of our clover plots some brassica seed must have taken root and we have a few plants coming up. Sure enough, they're digging them up and eating them.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
really man? What part of state are you in again, I forgot?

I planted mine in Noble county last year, and they got TORN UP! I mean bulbs ripped up out of the soil, found tons half eaten, tons of pics/tracks, etc.

I dont get why in some areas they get hammered, and other areas they dont at all. It seems like it can be a difference of a mile or soo too.

Central OH. Plants were huge and they literally would walk around them.

Buckmaster

Portage
They are starting to work the tops off my turnips already planted Aug 1.

Attachments

• Blonde Stand 2.jpg
    Blonde Stand 2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 137

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So what are the benefits of setting up a food plot in farm country or on a working farm? The deer have all the food they could want up until the crops get harvested so is the benefit to keep more on the property itself?

What plants would be the best nutritionally for after crops are harvested here in Ohio? How long would they last and how much work would the require?

I don't think you'd be wasting your time at all, especially if you enjoy tinkering around with anything related to deer hunting. Planting food plots is fun, no matter what part of the state you live in.

From a nutritional standpoint, it's going to be pretty hard to be Mother Nature. In most areas of Ohio, those deer have everything they need and then some, without any help from us hunters. That being said, supplemental food sources like food plots will still draw in deer, even in farm country. Brassicas may be an exception, but in IMO it's not about what you plant it's about WHERE you plant it. If the deer do not feel secure in your plot, they either won't touch it or they'll feed at night.... both scenarios are worthless to hunters of course. I've planted brassicas in carroll county and they absolutely hammer them. As soon as the leaves start sprouting, the deer start feeding on them. I've never had turnip leaves get any taller than 6 inches or so. Other areas of Ohio, you can't force a deer to eat brassicas. It's just a strange thing.k

If I were you Hedgelj, I'd pick up a couple bags of oats and winter rye from the local feed mill and go find a nice secluded little spot... But I'd also do it after jumping in a time machine and going back to the first week of September. lol You're about a month late for planting. If it stays mild you could possibly get a decent crop if planted now, though.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner... You still have time to plant winter wheat if you want to go that route. Not as attractive as some other options IMO, but given the circumstances it'd probably be your best bet at this point.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner... You still have time to plant winter wheat if you want to go that route. Not as attractive as some other options IMO, but given the circumstances it'd probably be your best bet at this point.

Must be strange around here. Never have I seen a deer come to winter wheat to eat it.

Areas like Coshocton counties and others are a different story.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Same here, Been. Mullskinner kills deer all the time out of winter wheat patch in Belmont Co. Late season magnet over there. It looks as barren as anything over here. Some years, even with a bad winter, I can't even get deer coming to corn piles. They lack cover here, food isn't a problem.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Must be strange around here. Never have I seen a deer come to winter wheat to eat it.

Areas like Coshocton counties and others are a different story.

Not as strange as the brassicas, but maybe a little strange. In general I don't think WW is a huge attraction to the deer, but every area is different. At this point it's one of the few options he has. Probably not really worth the time at this point IMO.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've never had good luck with brassicas either. They grow great, deer largely ignore them.

I still plant food plots and there is a solid 60 acres of commercial ag fields within a 1/2 mile on 3 sides of our farm. I do it for the fun and whatever benefit the deer will get from it...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I've never had good luck with brassicas either. They grow great, deer largely ignore them.

I still plant food plots and there is a solid 60 acres of commercial ag fields within a 1/2 mile on 3 sides of our farm. I do it for the fun and whatever benefit the deer will get from it...

Jesse you and I have talked about this before. I cant believe they wont eat your brassicas! I planted mine the first time last year, and they literally ate them out of every plot, and destroyed the ground. Looked like it was rototilled. My place is only maybe 30-40 miles from you at the most! I do have 0 ag fields around tho, maybe thats why?

I hope they continue to eat mine!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This is my 1st year for planting a food plot. I'll let you know come spring what the deer liked of the various plantings I did..
The only thing going for me is the entire farm adjoining me is all hay and no row crops. Not sure about the farm further south of me. My farm is in the middle of a built up residential area where all building lots are 5 ac. Not a whole lot of farming close to me. And nothing across the road for 1 mile.
We'll see.