Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I Have Been Working On This For A While

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have been working on putting together a few Monster Raxx food plot blends for quite a while now. We are finishing up everything with the food plot blends and I am going to launch them at the ATA show in January. The test plots are looking very good and I couldn't be happier. This buck was shot on one of our food plots the other night. They figure the buck to be 6 or 7 years old and it dressed at 245.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice deer. Did you get any pictures of the buck with the actual food plot in the picture to see what it looked like?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck of a buck. Congrats to the lucky lady! Can you give us any details about your plot blends or are you holding out for the ATA show?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
There will be a clover blend with a number of different clovers, another with clovers, chicory and rape, another has sugar beets, purple top turnips, rape, radishes, kale a food plot screen blend an another that has about everything.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Are you a plant biologist? Just curious why I would benefit from one of your blends versus say Whitetail Select, Whitetail Institute, Billy Bob's Big Buck Grub, or just my local feed and seed? What will differentiate your blend from a company that has been developing seed blends for 20-30yrs? Looking forward to hearing the answers!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Are you a plant biologist? Just curious why I would benefit from one of your blends versus say Whitetail Select, Whitetail Institute, Billy Bob's Big Buck Grub, or just my local feed and seed? What will differentiate your blend from a company that has been developing seed blends for 20-30yrs? Looking forward to hearing the answers!

Hicks just food for thought.

1. You will never beat a co op on pricing. No BOB seed is trying to do that. That whats nice about a CO OP seed is cheap, and you can experiment your self as to what you like. Example: arrow leave clover over white dutch, etc.

2. BOB seed is normally fairly priced for a small plot, 1/4 acre or so. So as long as MonsterRaxx seed is decently priced, and convenient to get its all about the connivence factor. No small plotter wants to buy a 50lb bag of clover if they only need a small section of trail done.

3. Dont buy into the hype of all these companies having these great plant biologist making these seeds. In the long run we are planting these for deer, the amount of tonnage and all is really not that important. In my mind after hours and hours of reading about plots it comes down to 2 things. 1. put in legumes, 2. put in brassicas and rotate every few years.

PS. Not attacking hicks just putting in my 2 cents. Monsteraxx good luck on this venture, hell I might give a bag a try.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I am not a plant biologist. I am working with some very good ones and buying seed direct from what I consider the best seed company in the Midwest to get the best seed I can. Like all of our other products we will not be using fillers so we can make more $$$. Take a look at the companies you mentioned there is at least one who's seed is usually 25% or more filler. We do believe in putting the best product available in anything we do and I would not have gone through with this if I didn't believe we will. Our seed will be priced right with all of the other competitors seed even though I am spending more for my seed. I hope this answered your questions but if you have others please let me know.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I was simply thinking from the business owner/marketing perspective. I believe AT's post summed it up well. For those doing 5-10-20acres they will laugh. For the guy putting in a small plot on their property I am sure the $15-30 for a 1/4 acre plot is convenient. I would go broke buying bags for 1/4 acre at a time. Good luck with your venture. I suppose it is all about the networking and marketing more than the seed.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Will your product come pre-inoculated?
If so, what is your coating procedure as it seems time consuming.

Buckmaster, read on that pre inoculated seed. From my understand it does not good to have a seed pre inoculated. A lot of times you are paying more for that, but it is not going to be very beneficial for you. I could be wrong but I swear I read that its best to do it your self. I will try to find the link.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Finding a niche is a saturated market is tough, but you know that from selling minerals. Good luck with it Tom.

Jesse, I think this market is saturated but I think Tom is heading for the right niche.

Seems from my experience food plotting is addicting, and people are becoming more and more knowledgeable about what they are exactly planting/doing. I think with Tom coming out with a high quality product that does not contain a bunch of fillers, and is not all rye grass. I think this is the section of the market that is trying to grow. QUALITY over price. You look at a lot of products a few years back they just claimed throw and grow all you need is a rake. Now you have people like Cabelas selling tractors just to keep up with this industry, and someone who is going to buy a tractor just for foodplots, I think they are going to buy the best quality seed they can get. IMO.

Just my observation on the market. Hope that post makes sense, I could explain my thoughts better in person!

Buckmaster

Portage
Buckmaster, read on that pre inoculated seed. From my understand it does not good to have a seed pre inoculated. A lot of times you are paying more for that, but it is not going to be very beneficial for you. I could be wrong but I swear I read that its best to do it your self. I will try to find the link.

I inoculate mine myself because I'm a DIYer. It's about an extra $ 8 per inoculate pack for a 50 pound bag of clover. If serving public demand I would image I'd need to coat with pre-inoculant substances. As you know you're not supposed to inoculate until a couple hours prior to planting. Most end users probably demand finished product. A lot of the bagged mixed I have purchased in the past have pre-coated (often color coated) seeds. I would image if I was handling this business task I'd have most difficulty in serving market demand with 10 ton production runs of pre-coated seed. I wondered what the magic was to make this happen.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse, I think this market is saturated but I think Tom is heading for the right niche.

Seems from my experience food plotting is addicting, and people are becoming more and more knowledgeable about what they are exactly planting/doing. I think with Tom coming out with a high quality product that does not contain a bunch of fillers, and is not all rye grass. I think this is the section of the market that is trying to grow. QUALITY over price. You look at a lot of products a few years back they just claimed throw and grow all you need is a rake. Now you have people like Cabelas selling tractors just to keep up with this industry, and someone who is going to buy a tractor just for foodplots, I think they are going to buy the best quality seed they can get. IMO.

Just my observation on the market. Hope that post makes sense, I could explain my thoughts better in person!

Thing is, he is not the only person selling a quality product. Merit Seed, Whitetail Institute, Biologic, those are all quality products readily available. No offense to Tom, but most of us serious food ploters here are way past buying stuff in a colorful bag even if it is good seed. Guys who buy tractors just to food plot either have more money than they know what to do with, or are serious about their food plots. The first guy will buy the seed in the colorful bag, the second will blend his own. Regardless, the niche is crowded...

Buckmaster

Portage
The first guy will buy the seed in the colorful bag, the second will blend his own. Regardless, the niche is crowded...

Tom's niche market focuses on the first time buyer. They guy who buys the seed with big bucks on the bag. That's why I asked about how his finishes the seed product.

I'm the second tier food plotter. I buy my own seed in 50 pound bags and inoculate the seed myself. I only buy the Name Brand seed upon close out sales/clearance, etc. for personal convenience factors. I am sure to sort out the bags on the store shelf that have the newest bagged date/ longest shelf life. I leave the older bags for others. I've personally bought Biologic seed (1/4 acre) for One US Dollar before.

Last edited: