Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best Mobile Stand Setup

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I am in the market for a new mobile hang on stand. I hunt a lot of public land, as well as some private, and need the ability to move when the situation calls for it. I also need something light enough that it wont kill me walking back two miles, yet doesn't give up comfort in the name of weight. Ideally, the stand will be 15 lbs or less. I already have 4 Lone wolf sticks and 3 strap on steps, and that will be my means to get up into the tree 25+ foot. Also, I will ALWAYS have backpack with me, so somehow I need to find a way to carry a backpack, sticks and stand all at the same time. In the past with my climber I have hooked the pack to the back of the stand, but I did not have the sticks to deal with. I have also strapped the backpack to the front of my chest, with the stand on my back (talk about getting funny looks, looks like 6 month baby bulge hanging there). Besides my climber, my current stand of choice is a tree sling. It is AWESOME for mobile hunting because it is so light weight, and you literally wear it to your stand, but it can lack in comfort at times. So with that said, any suggestions?? I am looking at Lone Wolf and Muddy right now, but have an open mind.

Thanks,

Seth

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In regards to price, Rivers Edge has the Lite Foot. Off the top of my head I am thinking 14lbs and in the $100-130 range. Platform is 24"x25". It has the aluminum mesh platform which I am sure might "ping" or make noises in extreme cold.

I have a Millennium which I use. In regards to comfort, these are top notch. ALL day stand without a doubt. I love mine, but personally feel they are a bit bulky when packing in/out. Plenty of room, but the 20"x38" platform isn't the easiest to pack for miles. Keep in mind, I hunt flat country. Might be tougher if you throw in hills. Retail $225-230 but occasionally find a deal.

Leverage has some nice ones as well. 14 or 17lbs dependent upon which model. Has similar honeycomb stamped platform as LW. Nice and sturdy minus the pops and pings you find on stands with expanded metal. These also offer some adjustment for seat and platform leveling which is a plus. 21.25"x27.75" on the platform. Downside being they retail in the $250-300 range.

Never used a LW hang on, nor do we sell them. I will let you look up their specs. lol

Shoot me a PM if you are interested. I have all three in stock. I have one "New Old Stock" Leverage I would be willing to cut substantially off retail. Normally I cannot due to MAP price, but with New Old Stock I have this option.

Not posting this so you will buy off me, just throwing it out there as I am familiar with these products. I don't care who you buy them from. Just trying to put out some of the differences in the lighter more portable options.

Edit: Just spewed info on all the portable stands I am familiar with. Re-read your post to see if I missed anything. Realized I covered all except the stands you were looking into. Sorry Seth. I will leave it just so you can compare all variables.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The Muddy stand is a great stand, very adjustable and very comfortable for a traditional hang-on, not to mention it comes with a foot rest and is a hell of a lot cheaper than the LW. I replaced the Millennium with the Muddy as my mobile hang-on setup.

If it were me, I would go with the Muddy and never look back!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
If you already have LW sticks get a LW Alpha stand and call it a day. I hunt public as well. The sticks click right into the stand and I just put my back pack over the last stick and bring backpack buckles around and clink them in behind the straps on my stand. I also click my bow onto my backpack so literally everything is on my back walking it. I've got 6 LW stands and LOVE them, the only down fall is comfort on your ass.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
If you already have LW sticks get a LW Alpha stand and call it a day. I hunt public as well. The sticks click right into the stand and I just put my back pack over the last stick and bring backpack buckles around and clink them in behind the straps on my stand. I also click my bow onto my backpack so literally everything is on my back walking it. I've got 6 LW stands and LOVE them, the only down fall is comfort on your ass.

Ditto. All day sits can be tough with the LW seat, but the versatility of that sticks & stand combo for mobility is tough to beat.

jwmartin

Also you could try using a turkey pouch instead of a backpack. I have found that there is no better way to pack your gear, especially when needing to take extra clothing that you do want to wear on the walk in. I use a Hunters specialty turkey pouch and Lone Wolf Alpha with 4 sticks to be mobile or a summit open shot sd when in a climber. If you watch the video on you tube about climbing with the lone wolf sticks with a strap attached to the bottom, then you may only need 3 sticks to get just as high. I have no trouble getting up 25+ ft with just 4 sticks but I do stretch them out pretty good and handle my weight well pulling myself up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I currently use a millennium m100, but I would really like to replace it with a muddy bloodsport for my mobile set. Don't get me wrong... I love the m100... But the mobility and ease of hanging withe bloodsport is tough to beat. The LW stands are nice too but they lack comfort big time. If I were you, I'd go muddy.

teej89

NE PA

Exact same thing I do with my backpack. And the LW folds so flat it's not ridiculously hard on your shoulders carrying it in. But if you get it, swap out the seat cushion. The one they give you is junk lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm fat. And I have a bad back, so my Millennium is the ticket. However I agree with JB and Flutie that the Muddy is the better way to go for ease of hang.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I'm fat. And I have a bad back, so my Millennium is the ticket. However I agree with JB and Flutie that the Muddy is the better way to go for ease of hang.

I cant argue any topic when it comes to comfort of these other stands, that's why all I have in my garage is LW and Millennium stands. The down fall to the M100 is the chain bracket system making noise, now that Andrae D'Aquisto's patent run up and Muddy uses the versa button style to hang it makes them more appealing BUT the sticks DO NOT sit flush with the stand. When Andrae built these stands he was thinking of guys who need to get into places where others cant go and hunt trees that others cant climb. This system is damn near flawless (except the uncomfortable seat) but its designed to allow the sticks to fit flush into grooves and not make noise. If you want comfort build a M100 and LW stick setup, get you a couple quik straps off LW's website and call it a day, just know that your going to add weight and have to deal with a big clunking metal tree bracket (NOT QUIET). Rumor has it he is coming out with another stand but I cant leak to much detail...... :smiley_arrogant:

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I cant argue any topic when it comes to comfort of these other stands, that's why all I have in my garage is LW and Millennium stands. The down fall to the M100 is the chain bracket system making noise, now that Andrae D'Aquisto's patent run up and Muddy uses the versa button style to hang it makes them more appealing BUT the sticks DO NOT sit flush with the stand. When Andrae built these stands he was thinking of guys who need to get into places where others cant go and hunt trees that others cant climb. This system is damn near flawless (except the uncomfortable seat) but its designed to allow the sticks to fit flush into grooves and not make noise. If you want comfort build a M100 and LW stick setup, get you a couple quik straps off LW's website and call it a day, just know that your going to add weight and have to deal with a big clunking metal tree bracket (NOT QUIET). Rumor has it he is coming out with another stand but I cant leak to much detail...... :smiley_arrogant:

The sticks will lay nicely on their side and the legs will wedge over the footrest to hold out all in place. I use the bottom cinch strap to hold the sticks in place. I'll try and snap a pic this evening. It's very compact.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The sticks will lay nicely on their side and the legs will wedge over the footrest to hold out all in place. I use the bottom cinch strap to hold the sticks in place. I'll try and snap a pic this evening. It's very compact.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Wow guys AWESOME info and insight. Didn't even know you sold treestands hicks, I def. will keep that in mind for future reference. I think for now it's still between the Muddy and the Lonewolf. Fluteman, do you use the LW sticks with the Muddy stand? Do you strap a back pack to the back of all of that? Also, love the idea of the turkey vest.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Very nice Flute.... Do you get any noise out of that setup? The main reason I stick with LW is a solid one piece platform. When its cold out I've had treestands that make a little white noise and creek some, just don't get any of that with the LW.
For the true "SILENT" killer there's even more tricks to silence every little thing but I wont start that topic here.... lol. Either way that's a nice setup and like that they lay flat rather than sticking out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is also the fanny pack route. Just a thought. I carry one often times when I am packing my stand in/out.

Didn't even know you sold treestands hicks, I def. will keep that in mind for future reference.

I try not to blatantly pimp our business on every post. Business name is in the signature line. Outside of this, I just throw out a random bit of info here and there. My reason for being active on TOO is not about making money.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Wow guys AWESOME info and insight. Didn't even know you sold treestands hicks, I def. will keep that in mind for future reference. I think for now it's still between the Muddy and the Lonewolf. Fluteman, do you use the LW sticks with the Muddy stand? Do you strap a back pack to the back of all of that? Also, love the idea of the turkey vest.

I carry 4 or 5 LW sticks and a single Muddy stick for my top stick. The double steps make it easier for hanging a stand and you also don't have to strategize which side your step is gonna be on when it is up top.

As far as packs, I have always strapped a GamePlan Gear Spot N Stock or Cabellas Day Tripper Fanny over the top of my sticks, then the waist strap around the stand to hold the pack in place.

This year, I bought a $25 Allen fly fishing chest pack to try and reduce the load. I always wanted to try a fly fishing chest pack, but until I figure out if I'm gonna like it, I'm not spending $60+ on a nice pack with lots of pockets. This one has a small external pocket, then a larger main pocket with two mesh pouches inside. It is small, but it will work for now.

I'm in the process of making a quick detatch system for my binos so I can carry them on the pack externally, but this is the GPG pack and Allen for comparison. The Allen can also be strapped to the stand easily.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Awesome Idea on the chest pack. I think I am gonna order one. I am still trying to understand how you are getting the LW sticks to lay flat on the muddy stand. What model is that??

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
It is the Hunter model, $200 well spent. The pictures aren't great, but when you stack the LW sticks, it forces the V brackets to stay stationary. The footrest tubing fits perfectly between two sets of sticks v brackets on the bottom, then up top, you can wedge one v bracket foot over the end of the seat post which keeps the sticks from moving up and down. The cinch strap for the stand runs around the sticks and holds them tight to the stand.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Greg, you remind me of BASF commercials. Slogan: We don't make the products you buy, we make the products you buy...better!"

B:Bad
A:Ass
S:String man(named)
F:Fluteman

My suggestion to Seth would be to come on over to Strouds this weekend and Greg could bring his set up and you can see it first hand. You'll also get to know a bunch more TOOzers while you're there! Just sayin'....