Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Poison ivy, whatcha do?

teej89

NE PA
So was setting up a stand this weekend and wasn't really paying attention while putting it up and here's a pic of the sticks and look at those fellers on the top right side. Looks like poison ivy to me, but I mustn't have seen em :( and now here's my arm. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380640472.906483.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380640516.183724.jpg

Whatcha guys recommend?

Boy isn't poison ivy fun?!?! I am just finishing up getting rid of a good batch from two weeks ago. That's usually about how long it takes to get rid of it on your own. I use bleach on paper towels and wipe/rub until the spots are sore and burning a little. Then wash off with dish soap and lukewarm water, pat dry and use Benadryl Lotion (for poison ivy). For your shower use Dawn dish soap or one that says it cuts grease. The bleach I only repeat on spots if it seems like it isn't going away or if more pops up around it. Also doesn't hurt to have a bunch of Benadryl tablets to take to help cut down on the itching feeling.

teej89

NE PA
Alright so I should bleach it today followed with dish soap and luke warm water then bendryl lotion. Then the following days until it goes away I should just use dishsoap that cuts grease? The itching really doesn't bother me, I have to wear dress shirts at work so the sleeves cover my arms and prevent me from seeing the rash therefore I forget about it lol

Thanks!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Scratch it till it seeps/bleeds - follow up with bleach :). Yes staph infection, etc. is a concern, but if I can't get the doc for a shot (get at least 1 every year), then I scratch and bleach for a fix till I can get to the doc.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I keep a bar of Fels Naptha in our bathroom at all times. If I think I've even been close to poison ivy I have a routine I follow. Get home and strip naked, throw all the close in the washer. Head to the shower and wash from head to toe with fels naptha. Ever since doing this I have never had a problem or breakout with poison ivy.