Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sighting in my muzzy this week. Suggestions?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, I have pissed around and waited until the last minute (like I always do) to get my muzzy sighted in. To be completely honest, I bought the thing back in April, and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't even shot it yet. Anyway, to get to the point, I'm shooting a TC Encore, and I went with a 250gr Hornaday Sabot, and I've got both 50gr and 60 gr Triple 7 Pellets. Going to get it dialed in with 100gr of pellets and then shoot it with 120gr and see which groups better. I plan on zeroing it in at 100y, then shooting at 50 and 150, and if I have time, maybe at 200 just to see.

This is my first muzzleloader. I've killed deer with my dad's Hawkins, but the gun was already sighted in, so I'm new to the whole process. Do you guys swab your barrel after every shot? If so, are you just running a dry patch through, or are you putting a little solution on as well? I will gladly accept any tips and pointers from you muzzy guys.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm no expert, but I think you have a good plan. With the lighter bullet, I'd guess you will have better groups with the 100gr load. I swab my barrel with a wet patch (sometimes just spit) and then a dry. I don't do it between every shot, but often enough to keep the gun relatively easy to load. Sabots foul the barrel pretty darn quick, so you'll need to swab it pretty often. This is one reason I am a fan of powerbelts. Yeah, it's a shortcut, but I don't shoot high powder loads (90 grain, lose) most usually, and I've been overly happy with the results I've gotten with powerbelts.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Don't feel too bad, Greg. I haven't shot either of the guns we will be bringing to Strouds yet this year. Both are functional, but haven't been fired since last season. I may even bring down an old percussion cap rifle if I find time to blow the dust off the scope...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shoot twice, then run a swab and clean it at least 75% or so. After 4 shots, I clean it clean it. I like to know what that second shot will be when I have to reload.

Good luck man. You're gonna love that gun!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm no expert, but I think you have a good plan. With the lighter bullet, I'd guess you will have better groups with the 100gr load. I swab my barrel with a wet patch (sometimes just spit) and then a dry. I don't do it between every shot, but often enough to keep the gun relatively easy to load. Sabots foul the barrel pretty darn quick, so you'll need to swab it pretty often. This is one reason I am a fan of powerbelts. Yeah, it's a shortcut, but I don't shoot high powder loads (90 grain, lose) most usually, and I've been overly happy with the results I've gotten with powerbelts.

I believe dad still shoots 75gr of loose powder out of his hawkins, and it shoots great. I don't believe 150gr is necessary, which is why I am opting for the lighter load. I wanted to go with Blackhorn powder this year, but with my limited time and budget this year, pirodex pellets just seemed like the easy way out. Eventually, I will make the transition to powder though.

I've heard quite a few people suggest the powerbelts, and I may have to give them a look later on. My plan was to shoot several different brands and weights to see what was gonna do the best, but again, I'm out of time.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Ok there are a few things I want to ask first.
1.) Are you shooting pyrodex pellets or triple 7 pellets? The reason I ask is that triple 7 is 30% more powerful than pyrodex which is why they have a max load of 120 grains where its 150 grains of normal blackpowder or pyodex. Also, triple 7 is chemically different from other black powder substitutes and it forms a "crud ring" near the breach after a few shots. This crud ring forms fastest if you are using normal 209 primers which burn hotter than the triple 7 branded 209 primers.

If you are shooting triple 7 then every 3-5 shots or so I would run a brass brush then a swab down to break up the crud ring or else it will be challenging to seat the bullet at the same place each time which will impact your accuracy. If you are shooting pyrodex than just a swab every few shots should do it fine.

I have not noticed much fouling from the sabots I use and I'm pushing mine pretty fast (for a muzzy), though it may be dependent upon which sabot you use.

All this being said I haven't shot my muzzy since last season, I gotta get some batteries for my sight or else I'm gonna be darn near useless.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'm in the same boat in not firing my 2 new ML's. I have 2 TC Encores with 45-70 barrels threaded with high pressure breach plugs so I can safely shoot smokeless powder. Neither one have been shot yet with smokeless powder.
The one Encore had the black powder breach plug in it and I've taken deer with it.
I just can't get into the gun mood yet as I don't want to waste my tags yet. If I get around to next week and get them sighted in I think I'll invite my neighbor to hunt in my new tower on his land.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Ok there are a few things I want to ask first.
1.) Are you shooting pyrodex pellets or triple 7 pellets? The reason I ask is that triple 7 is 30% more powerful than pyrodex which is why they have a max load of 120 grains where its 150 grains of normal blackpowder or pyodex. Also, triple 7 is chemically different from other black powder substitutes and it forms a "crud ring" near the breach after a few shots. This crud ring forms fastest if you are using normal 209 primers which burn hotter than the triple 7 branded 209 primers.

If you are shooting triple 7 then every 3-5 shots or so I would run a brass brush then a swab down to break up the crud ring or else it will be challenging to seat the bullet at the same place each time which will impact your accuracy. If you are shooting pyrodex than just a swab every few shots should do it fine.

I have not noticed much fouling from the sabots I use and I'm pushing mine pretty fast (for a muzzy), though it may be dependent upon which sabot you use.

All this being said I haven't shot my muzzy since last season, I gotta get some batteries for my sight or else I'm gonna be darn near useless.

Thanks for the info! I am shooting Triple 7's propellant and using TC's 209 Primers.

Buckmaster

Portage
In my Encore...here is my load.

150 grains Triple 7 pellets
250 grain Shockwave sabots
209 Winchester primer
Clean barrel every 2-3 shots with wet patch then dry patch

I zero my scope at 100.
With a good scope and bench rest this combination is a legit 200 yard gun.
Hold over at 200 is about 8 inches.

Lundy

MK111,

Do you know what powder and how much you are going to shoot? Have you ever shot smokeless? Do you have someone to help you with loads that are safe?

The 200 grain shockwaves or Barnes 195's are the go to bullets for your 45's smokeless if you decide to go that way.

Lundy

Fluteman,

If you shoot 100 gr of pellets and a 250 -260 gr bullet with a fairly tight fitting sabot I don't think you will have any problem at all getting sighted in.

As the crud builds up in the barrel you may need to swab the barrel after every 3-6 shots to keep the load pressure consistent.

PUT A WITNESS MARK ON YOUR RAMROD and make sure your gun is loaded properly each and every time. Never pull that trigger unless you are absolutely sure. It is easy to get distracted and make a mistake. Double loads or bullets not fully seated can be disastrous

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
MK111,

Do you know what powder and how much you are going to shoot? Have you ever shot smokeless? Do you have someone to help you with loads that are safe?

The 200 grain shockwaves or Barnes 195's are the go to bullets for your 45's smokeless if you decide to go that way.

Since my Encore barrel was a smokeless 45-70 barrel smokeless powder is totally safe.
All research and loads are on dougsmessageboards.com savage forum. All loads are proven to be safe. I don't need a magnum 45 caliber rifle just a hot 45-70 load.
Will be using Harvester ML sabots and a 40 caliber blemished plastic tipped bullets from Midway which I think are Hornaday.

Lundy

MK111,

I only ask because I shoot 3 smokeless MZ's, 2 are 45's, just was hoping you had good load source info.

If you are using the 45 loads from Dougs you should be good. Always start low and work up with smokeless.

Good luck

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
MK111,

I only ask because I shoot 3 smokeless MZ's, 2 are 45's, just was hoping you had good load source info.

If you are using the 45 loads from Dougs you should be good. Always start low and work up with smokeless.

Good luck

Thanks for the concern. I believe you are the one that referred me to Dougs Board earlier this year.