Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Land Owner

at1010

*Supporting Member*
i own my own land, normally I tag deer as landowner, someone told me I cant this year? Is that true? Sorry I dont have the reg book.

MQ1-Z7

Ashland Co.
I've always wondered... what IS a land owner in the eyes of the ODNR ? Is it someone who owns a number of acres, or can someone go out in their backyard & shoot a deer ?

When i spoke to the ODNR a couple years ago , i asked that very question , and he told me there is no said amount of land you have to own.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I think if you own the land, and its legal to hunt you can claim a landowner tag. Makes sense to me.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I think the confusion started about 6-7 years ago when the ODNR stated that landowners would have to get a free permit to hunt on their own land in the future. But it caused so many complaints that they quickly forgot about that stupid idea.

Doesn't matter if it drops on the neighbors as long as you have permission to retrieve it from their property ;) It does however need to be in your yard when you shoot it though :)

Correct me if I'm wrong. I think if the deer crosses to a neighboring property, a license and tag are required to retrieve it. Retrieveing the deer is considered as "hunting". One must have written permission, a license and tag the deer with an over the counter tag.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think if the deer crosses to a neighboring property, a license and tag are required to retrieve it. Retrieveing the deer is considered as "hunting". One must have written permission, a license and tag the deer with an over the counter tag.

First I've ever heard that. I use landowners and simply ask permission to go retrieve our deer.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
First I've ever heard that. I use landowners and simply ask permission to go retrieve our deer.

That's all I have ever done.

I do however think its a load of crap that a guest hunting my land can "Phone" in the kill or go on-line but I as the land owner can't.(phone) I have to either go "on line" or take it to a check-in station.

Why in the world would I not be able to phone in a harvest...(and don't tell me its cause landowners are liars and can't be trusted to call...)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
That's all I have ever done.

I do however think its a load of crap that a guest hunting my land can "Phone" in the kill or go on-line but I as the land owner can't.(phone) I have to either go "on line" or take it to a check-in station.

I believe you can phone it in now. Check the regs but I think it's been updated.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I thought I missed it cause I do a slow burn each year but no. Fuggers still don't trust me...

"STEP 2 - For deer, the hunter must complete the automated game check and tagging process by 12:00 p.m. (noon) the day after the kill. If the deer is killed on the last day of a season, it must be checked in by 11:30 p.m. on the day of kill. For turkey, the hunter must complete the automated game check and tagging process by 11:30 p.m. on the same day the turkey was killed.

Automated Game Check for landowners and hunters exempt from purchasing licenses and permits
Exempt landowners and hunters CANNOT use the telephone game-check option!

Game Game check options for the exempt landowner and hunters are:

◾Visit wildohio.com using a smartphone or computer. Click on “Wild Ohio Customer Center” and then click on “Game Check: Report a Deer or Turkey Harvest.”

◾Visit any authorized license sales agent. A list of sales agents can be found at wildohio.com. Hunters do not need take their deer or turkey to the agent for the game check. Authorized license sales agents will be available for game check during normal business hours. Call for exact hours of operation.

At the time of the game check, the automated game check system will attempt to determine if the hunter has an existing Customer ID Number using the hunter’s last name, date of birth, and the last four digits of their Social Security Number. If the system cannot find the hunter’s account, a new one will be created.

The exempt landowner hunter must answer a series of questions. When an exempt landowner hunter has checked their deer or tur key by Web or agent, they will receive a game check receipt with their 18-digit confirmation number printed on it.

The confirmation number must then be attached to the deer or tur key.

The confirmation number may be written on the game tag.

A game check receipt may be printed by accessing the “Wild Ohio Customer Center” at wildohio.com after the game check process is complete."

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Landowners can use a smartphone to check a deer in. Now who doesn't have a smartphone? Me a landowner. But hey I'm on a computer now so I guess that'll work OK.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I know. Its just the principal of the thing...
I'll bet it's more the TECHNOLOGY of the thing driving that - a person who buys a tag has a number that can be easily punched into the keypad - a landowner with no tag would have to give any number of longer variables (such as an address) that might not be as easily entered into a phone pad, if that makes any sense. So the system is keyed to recognize numbers - but it's easier on a computer screen to enter different non-standard stuff.

Maybe. I don't know.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll bet it's more the TECHNOLOGY of the thing driving that - a person who buys a tag has a number that can be easily punched into the keypad - a landowner with no tag would have to give any number of longer variables (such as an address) that might not be as easily entered into a phone pad, if that makes any sense. So the system is keyed to recognize numbers - but it's easier on a computer screen to enter different non-standard stuff.

Maybe. I don't know.

That was my understand of why. There isn't a tag number to enter. It's a technology limitation not a trust issue.

And you're right CJD3. They didn't change it. Well they did but i was confused. they now allow online but not phone. The first year they didn't even allow that.