Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Huck's Hunts

Huckleberry Finn

I put a lot of time into mapping out my hunting for the season and I'm starting to get wrapped up in it!

October
12-13 Stroud's
26-27 bow hunting wkend

Nov
1-3 bow hunting wkend
14 - 18 "Rut hunt"
23-24 Youth season
(I have 3.5 more days to add in November, pending weather and movement)

Dec
2 - Opening morning of gun season

This is really the first year that I will get to take time to hunt the rut and I'm pretty excited about it. If ole Charlie is right, I'm planning on a good 4 day 'Rut Hunt' Nov. 14-18th. I have some extra time that I will schedule in based on weather and movement.

By my count, that gives me about 15.5 days to hunt. I'm starting late and focusing on the first 3 weeks in Nov. Seems like the rest of my calender has filled in too quickly...

That's all for now...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If a fella is only going to go out in a three week period, you have certainly picked a good one! Good luck this season!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Knowing you are limited on how many days you have to hunt I'd also agree you picked out some great dates Huck. Good luck this season and I hope it's a great one for you!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Good luck Steve!! I'm looking at some similar dates to burn my vacation days up. Hope you get to tag a big one!

Huckleberry Finn

Thanks. I will probably be able to add some days and weekends to this but the goal is to hunt the prime time. Last year I think I dinked around with too many 3 hour sits and want to pull some longer sits. After 4 years of barely getting to hunt for college and not taking any time last year other than weekend to do so, this feels like a lot to me and I'm looking forward to it.

--

Something else that I looked at was the Farmer's Almanac. Didn't buy one and don't live or die by it, but the online version works for me. I'm posting it here to see how accurate it is. If it's anywhere near accurate, Holloween should be prime time in addition to the middle of November.

Oct
1-3 Sunny and cold
4-7 Showers
8-11 Sunny
12-15 Cold winds and rain for Ohio valley
16-19 Showers Great Lakes
20-23 Cold, dry weather
24-27 Wet weather, then clearing and colder
28-31 Cold and dry

Nov
1-3 Storm for Great Lakes east
4-7 Dry and cold
8-11 Wet, then fair and cold
12-15 Very unsettled weather from the west
16-19 Fair and cold
20-23 Rain and wet snow
24-27 Fair and cold

Huckleberry Finn

Something else that I looked at was the Farmer's Almanac. Didn't buy one and don't live or die by it, but the online version works for me. I'm posting it here to see how accurate it is. If it's anywhere near accurate, Holloween should be prime time in addition to the middle of November.

Oct
20-23 Cold, dry weather
24-27 Wet weather, then clearing and colder
28-31 Cold and dry

On tracking the Farmer's Almanac:

I think that saying that the beginning of this week (20-23) being the first cold snap was a solid prediction.

However, this current stretch (24-27) looks like high's in the 50's and dry instead of "wet weather and colder"
Looks like rain starting again on Monday/Tuesday which would make the (28-31) not dry, nor cold with high's in the mid-50s.

--

Plan is to have the first sit on a farm where the corn is still standing on Saturday evening.

Huckleberry Finn

I'll start the log to include Stroud's. Going to include deer scene and hunts but not stand time.

2013 Stats

Does Sightings: 3
Bucks Sightings: 0
Total Sightings: 3

Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 1
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 2

Hours on Stand: 0

Average Time Per Hunt: 0
Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 0

Properties Hunted: 0

Huckleberry Finn

2013 Stats

Does Sightings: 3
Bucks Sightings: 0
Total Sightings: 3

Morning Hunts: 1
Evening Hunts: 1
Skunked Hunts: 0
Total Hunts: 2

Hours on Stand: 6

Deer Seen Per Hour on Stand: 0

--

Hung a stand on a set of sticks that I had up last night and hunted it for a few hours before dark. The hanging job was too loud and a little sloppy. Pro tip: don't loosen the metal c-clamp on your Millennium receiver chain until you've swung the chain around the tree. Anyways, got it up and had a nice first sit. Saw plenty of squirrels but nothing else.

Tramped into the stand this morning. The corn is still up on the property which is either a good thing or a bad thing. There's not much to see when the corn is standing but then not much sticks around when the corn gets taken down.

I pulled the stand when I got down this morning and I was pleased that I did that smoothly. I left the receiver and will hunt the stand the evening after the corn gets picked.

This stand sits over a mud hole that's good during early season. Other than that, I'll just dream that the corn gets picked with warm temps and a deer needs a drink from chasing...makes for a nice sunrise though!

c farm.jpg